Router ports

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by technique786, Jan 6, 2012.

1. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

Im like a child in this forum just more and more questions.

So i have calculated all me new equipment has sent my router over the edge. I have a 4 port router and i need a total of 5-6 (depends if V+ box needs networking)

My question is what is a good router with that number of ports and if i get a "switch" would the things connected to it be slower (would they be sharing one connection so to speak)

Im am useless at this stuff but am building a new living room for myself and want to get it right.

Thanks for all the help.

2. rednotdead

rednotdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just get a gigabit switch. Don't worry about speeds etc - for that number of devices your're not going to have any problems.

Lots on here recommend TP-Link. I've not used those personally, I prefer Netgear.

3. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Most Home routers only provide 4 ports (plus a WAN Port for access to your Internet gateway).
    If you want to extend the number of ports, then get a 4, 6 or 8 port switch. Chances are that your router is 100Mbit in speed, you just plug one cable from your router into the switch and instantly extend your number of ports (albeit losing 1 port on the router and 1 on the switch)
    Don't buy a Hub, as this shares the bandwidth, you must buy an unmanaged switch, most home ones are perfectly respectable from a known manufacturer, e.g.:

4-port TPLink £14 from Amazon: TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D) Plastic Case: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

5-port Netgear £15: Netgear FS605 Platinum Series 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories