• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Router Download Speeds...

Scutch

I've just installed my AOL wireless router and did a speed test on www.speedtest.net

Considering I have an 8meg line, here are my fabulous speeds:

140kb/s download and 93kb/s upload. Superb on an 8meg line...

:rolleyes:

Now, I know AOL have capped my download speeds but that is just ridiculous, surely? Could it have anything to do with my router? If I hover over the icon at the bottom of my screen, it says "Speed : 54.0Mbps" Is this the speed between the router and the laptop or the max speed I'll achieve? Is 54.0Mbps good?

Cheers guys.

Rygar

Novice Member
54 Mbps just relates to your internal LAN speed (wired or wireless). Only really an issue if you have more than one computer and you want to transfer files between them for example (you could do so at 54 Mbps).

Personally I don't like wireless. I find it causes sporadic slowdowns. Others disagree. Try it wired to see if it makes any difference.

However as you already know the slow speeds could just be down to AOL's throttling. 140 kbps is bad though. Basically dual ISDN speed.

What sync speed is your router reporting?

triplea4uk

54 Mbps just relates to your internal LAN speed (wired or wireless). Only really an issue if you have more than one computer and you want to transfer files between them for example (you could do so at 54 Mbps).

Personally I don't like wireless. I find it causes sporadic slowdowns. Others disagree. Try it wired to see if it makes any difference.

However as you already know the slow speeds could just be down to AOL's throttling. 140 kbps is bad though. Basically dual ISDN speed.

What sync speed is your router reporting?
Totally agree with you wireless is annoying and I find people just lazy when they use it not hard to run cables and better experience.

Try the speed test at 12 it should show what you are really getting and you could log in to the router to look at what stats you have sync, line rate that sort of thing then post them up.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom