1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router As 'firewall'

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Arif, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Right – I’ve learned from here about a strategy against things invading/infecting/hijacking one’s computer, as far as internet connections are concerned – and I’m buying a new laptop to start from scratch and hopefully minimise my exposure to the perils of viruses and spyware - internet use generally.

So apparently using a ‘router’ is a hardware-based mode of protection (to complement the other methods, of course) – and so I’ve ordered this - http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar600e.htm - and am hoping that it will work. And hoping also that it is the most appropriate for my needs – given that we will only ever want one computer connected to the internet at any time (although does having this router then mean that in future another computer upstairs could use the same broadband connection? With say a wireless transceiver set-up?)

I’ve got an ADSL broadband connection – and am going to be running a Toshiba Satellite L10 laptop. I hope it’s as simple as simply inserting the router into this equation?

Thanks a lot people – having already helped me out with RAM-upgrade queries.

Arif

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    yep, that will do for what you need.

In the future, if you get a wireless setup, just plug the ethernet connection on the router into the ethernet connection on your wireless gear..

In all honesty though, if you have a few extra quid, I'd cancel that order ( solwise are usually OK with this) and get yourself a Netgear DG834G

you should pick one up for about £60..
    This is a better router, with a very good firewall, is a doddle to setup, and is a wireless access point too... a one box solution, and definitely an improvement over the SAR due to the extra connectivity.... - and it looks nicer.. :)

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Another vote for the Netgear router. Seems to do the job and (reasonably) easy to set-up. I've recently started using the wirless network element having bought a Netgear usb wireless adaptor for my HTPC down in the garage (router upstairs). Again this worked firstime so no complaints from me.

Ray

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would also say to cancel the order and get a modem router. You get 4 ethernet ports and wireless so if you wanted to have another computer upstairs, you could have both computers sharing the same Broadband connection.

Personally, I'd have the upstairs computer connected via ethernet and the laptop via wireless. Laptops are made to carried around so there's no point tying it down with an ethernet connection.

Richie.

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    A good router will stop unsolicited connections to your network but Just putting in a router is gonig to do virtually nothing to defend against spyware and viruses. You'll still need AV and AS/W software installed for that.

6. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent guys - thanks - I will indeed cancel the order and go with Netgear...