Route only Video through HDMI - Sony Dz720 to Samsung R71

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by vettimails, Jan 3, 2007.

1. vettimails

vettimails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Samsung 32R71B LCD TV recently. I am planning to connect my existing DVD player, which is a part of Sony DZ720 Home theatre package, to this TV using HDMI cable.

Before buying a HDMI cable, I want to make sure the Dz720 won't route audio too, to the Samsung TV. Is it possible to route only Video to the TV and retain the sound in the Dz720 amp itself?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Even if it did route the sound through, just turn the TV volume to off.

3. vettimails

vettimails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, do u mean the Dz720 will play the sound through its 5.1 speakers even if it routes the sound to the LCD?

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Well it would be a bit stupid if it didn't otherwise the same would apply to DVD players that connect by Scart, Scart leads carry sound. I assume you will be connecting the DVD player to the TV via HDMI set to 1080i and the 5.1 output (Fibre/co-ax) to the DZ720 and setting the DVD player to bitstream out, just like I do but into a Cambridge AZUR 540 AV amp.

5. vettimails

vettimails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy for the reply.

I am sorry I didn't make it clear earlier. But, the DZ720 is a package, where the DVD player and the amp/decoder are in a *single* unit. So, there is no reciever as such! Please see this link for more info: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037618,39271120p,00.htm

I hope now you understand my setup/scenario better :) I have no separate reciever to route my sound to! So, if I connect a HDMI cable from my DVD player (which also acts as the receiver, in my case) to LCD, where will the sound go? to LCD or would be played by the Dz720 itself?

TIA.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    Hello vettimails

The DVD/AV Amp will likely Output Digital Video + Digital Stereo audio over HDMI and as others have said if you prefer to listen via the 5.1 speakers simply turn the TV volume to zero.

Joe

7. vettimails

vettimails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I will try this option.

Thanks Andy/Joe.