Round Quad LNB on Sky Minidish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RostokMcSpoons, Mar 30, 2005.

1. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just received my Sky+ box and Quad LNB from www.simplydigital.co.uk and I discovered the Thomson LNB supplied is a round receiver horn. Now, I didn't really expect much else given the cost was effectively around £10, but I'm wondering what the impact on image quality will be, compared to a 'proper' (expensive) oval receiver.

And I'm also wondering if there are any cunning ruses I can use... as it seems the problem with round receivers on oval minidishes is the back-scatter from the wall behind the dish, is there something I can do to help the situation? I'm thinking of some form of signal absorbent material behind the dish, or perhaps masking the top and bottom edges of the round receiver, forcing it to be more focussed...?

Or am I 'worrying' over nothing?

Also... I'm wanting to install my new toy tonight - problem is that it's likely to be raining. I presume fitting the LNB in anything other than dry conditions is a no-no? :( Is it possible to wire it up in the dry and then fit the LNB to the dish, or do the arrangements of the cables prohibit this?

Any hints and tips (beyond what's available at www.satcure.co.uk) would be welcome :)

2. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I purchased exactly the same package as you & installed it myself on Good Friday (on my exisiting minidish). After the install, signal strength & quality read the same as they were on my previous, single LNB (as originally installed by $ky), without any dish adjustment (which was nice). Haven't had any really bad weather since, but it's been working fine so far...

I had the same concerns as you before I purchased, so I emailed Simply Digital beforehand who confirmed it'd work with a minidish. I'd be interested to know why it appears to work so well though (and if it will continue to when it rains heavily!).

Biggest concern now is how long I can last before I cave in & buy a new hard disk (it pretty quickly became clear that 40gb doesn't cut it :rolleyes: )

3. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's great... I imagined it wouldn't be a nightmare, or they wouldn't bother providing one... and yes, the first time it rains heavily will be interesting :rolleyes: But fingers crossed, eh? :D

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Surely the db loss of the lnb is more important than shape?

If you want to ensure your cables are more waterproof, dip the end of the coax in petroleum jelly before screwing on the F-connector.

5. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I put it all together. I actually get better signal strength thru the new LNB :)

I managed to watch the footy, record The Apprentice and watch it, and impress the wife, all thanks to Sky+ !

The most difficult bits of the self-installation were sourcing a long enough drill-bit to go through the wall, and waiting for my neighbour to turn up so I could string the cable from his property :) No problems with signal strength, once I positioned the LNB correctly (I forgot to use the arm adapters at first, so it wasn't set correctly)