Round Crystal Ball

Discussion in 'Past Entries' started by Sabretooth, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Sabretooth

Sabretooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Here's my entry for this month.

Had a though choice between this one and another but went for this one in the end. Hope I made the right choice.

Would really welcome your thoughts.

I will reveal how this was conceived later ...............

[​IMG]

Details:
    Camera: Canon EOS 30D
    Lens: Nifty
    Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
    Aperture: f/2.5
    Focal Length: 50 mm
    ISO Speed: 100

Full EXIF data here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=1408235032

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    that is beautiful.

The softness of the book and the warmness of the pages, with the sharpness and coldness of the ball just work really well for me.

3. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its photoshopped right?

If so its very good, BUT the pages are not compressed by the "weight" of the ball and the flare/reflection looks very slightly not quite right.

but thats just me nit-picking ;)

4. Sabretooth

Sabretooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The glass ball is indeed not real - it has been created in PS CS3.

It's my first attempt at creating a sphere in PS and although not perfect by a long shot I thought it looked almost convincing for a first attempt.

Please excuse the choice of book - grabbed the first one that came - and it happened to be a really boring one :D

The book hasn't been read much so pages wouldn't stay flat when open - hence lack of "weight".

Overall - if you ignore the fact that the ball isn't real - I hope the final photo comes across as somewhat pleasing and has some artistic appeal.

5. macker2006

macker2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Well, I really like that, nice work :smashin:

6. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Possibly the leader at the moment methinks !

Bill

7. Paranormalist

Paranormalist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    To be honest I didn't know that such things could be photoshopped :blush:
    If that's the case then bravo to you, Sabretooth. :thumbsup:

8. Sabretooth

Sabretooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Nore did I until recently. I'm a newbie to photography & PS and just starting dabling. I find PS so much fun. There's so much you can do with it that its only limited by your imagination. Does take a lot of patience though.

I know some members aren't that keen on photos that have been PS'ed but I believe its a photographers tool that requires some skill in itself - and helps enhance photos to produce some amazing results - (provide you don't over do it and distract from the original photo).

Many Tnx for your kind comments.

9. Paranormalist

Paranormalist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    IMO photo manipulation should be embraced and not frowned upon at all.

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Everybody has their own opinion and can show it in the voting process, but for me on this one, too little of the end result is photography.

Well done on the photoshop work though - the delicate touch has worked.

11. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Have to say I agree TT.

Really love the end result, but the fact that the round thing wasn't photographed makes it un-voteable(?) in my opinion... otherwise it stops being a photo competition and is more about who has the best PS skills (and I have none!).

12. SweetGirl

SweetGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I think the statement below regarding post editing is a little unfair :(.

The photo competition does not state any rules where post editing photographs would be treated differently when voting time comes.

I think every entry whether 'straight out of the camera' or 'post editted' should be treated equally....

13. Sabretooth

Sabretooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    TT & Chrisw - you are ofcourse entitled to your opinions and I greatly appreciate them as a newbie.

However TT - to say that too little of it is photography is alittle unfair as the sphere only forms less that 25% of the overall photo. Also the word "photography" comes from geek words "photo" meaning light and "graphy" meaning drawing.

Actually thinking about it - did we not have this debate last month? :rolleyes:

I thought we had put this debate to bed and had concluded that the name of this forum said it all "Photography & Photo Editing"

14. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    hey - I agree! - I didn't say that it wasn't suitable for entry, just that I probably wont put it on my shortlist due to the reasons above. Others can vote for it if they choose to do so.

15. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    its a bloody great image, I too love good PS work but creating a graphic from scratch is a :nono: IMO, although it maybe less than 25% it is actually the main part of the picture and the theme

Other PS work manipulates the photograph(s) and sit fine with me, tbh if it was the other way round the "Crystall Ball" was a real photograph and the book the graphic then that would sit ok with me

Great image work though :smashin:

16. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Nice pic with very well executed photoshop. Lovely depth of field and it has a nice warm feeling to it. Good one!

The only problem with the photoshopping is that the ball would have rolled off the page at the angle it is at :rolleyes:

17. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    We did have this debate last month, but that was purely based on the topic / theme for that month. To me, the sub-forum in which all these entries sit is called "Photo Competition". I don't think there's anything wrong with some photoshopping on a photo, just not major surgery.

For your entry, which I think is very well executed and pleasing to the eye, the photo in it is a book. The only part of it that fits the criteria of the theme is something that is a superimposed image over the top of the photo.

I think the root cause of my problem with this, is that it is very difficult to come up with a good photo that hits the theme (although some people are so sickeningly talented on here they manage it every month!), so I feel a bit like it's not playing fair sitting at a computer and creating an image to fit the theme (I'm sure it wasn't easy to get the end result), rather than going through motions of finding something to shoot, and spending the time to get the photo itself right.

Please don't feel like this is a personal attack or rubbishing of your entry or saying you should never do this again. This is purely how I feel on this subject... maybe if I had some talent in PS as you obviously do I would feel differently!

18. Sabretooth

Sabretooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Before submitting this entry I did wonder whether it would be scrutinised for not being a real subject but decided to enter it anyway on the grounds that:

a) Nothing in the Competition rules discourage this
    However, if we are going to have these debates every month then maybe - Mods need to look at these.

b) The end result is on theme and relatively pleasing (IMO).
    When we go to an art gallery or art competition we rarely get to find out how the subject has been concieved and this largely does not matter and does not form one of the judging criteria, it also does not discourage us from appreciating it - its about the end result and appreciation of art full stop. I believe this applies to photography as well. The end result here is still a photo.

Now I could have kept quite about it not being real, maybe in hindsight I should have, that way it whould have been open to interpretation with no evidence of it not being real - maybe then it would have been more vote worthy. But for me it's not just about votes - its about recognition & appreciation.

I decided to be open about how it was conceived because I naivley thought that the amount of effort required to produce something like this in photoshop would be recognised and appreciated. Some may even be interested to find out how to do these sort of things.

However by doing this, and by having some photoshop experience, I get the feeling that some of you feel it's no longer a level playing field. But then it never has been. E.g. there are some far more experienced photographers on here than others. There can only be two resolutions to this;

1. MODs change the rules and make it clear that PS is not allowed.

2. Go learn PS yourself - and raise your act.

Overall - my entry is what it is. I'm sure you will judge it on its true merits.

I'm just pleased that this months entry has raised some discussion compared to my last months entry :( (which incidently was straight out of the camera :D).

19. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    From the rules
    As far as I can see it, the reason that is there, is so that the voters can judge for themselves using their own criteria about the relative merits of any photo.
    This is different to making a blanket rule about what can and can't be included and is, imo, preferable.

20. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    100% :smashin:

I've said it before, even a simple crop can give a dramatic and totally different feel to a picture, and that's image manipulation in its simplest form.

As long as the rules are followed then quite simply anything goes :)

21. Zombane

Zombane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Not my cup of tea at all. But nice effort.

22. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Nice photo and a good entry:smashin:

Not wishing to jump into the fray about what constitutes a photograph as we have this on a regular basis, in fact i started a thread last year which ended up as a very informative thread with everybodys views on the subject posted and probably coined a new phrase `Digital Montage`which is what i would describe your type of entry.

My views on this are very well known but i have mellowed a lot on the subject since then, mainly because i have seen the outstanding effects that can be created and i certainly would not criticise an entry just because it was a digitally manipulated image, only if i thought it had not been done well.

I still prefer to see a `proper` photograph though, but thats just my outlook on the subject and would defend your right to post whatever type of photograph you wish, all it has to do is comply with the very simple rules of the comp, which yours does, so carry on doing what you doing my friend.:cool:

23. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wont comment on digital manipulation;)

I will say thats a lovely work though.The ball magnifying the text is A great touch.:smashin: