1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roughknecks: Starship Trooper Chronicles

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always been a fan of this computer animated series (currently showing on Sky One in the mornings).I would urge anyone who likes animation and intelligent, well scripted sci-fi to check it out.

The first 5 episodes are already on release both region 1 & 2.

Good news is that another disc is on the way as the following quote shows: "According to DVDfile.com, Sony plans to release the second DVD of Roughnecks on 9/18. The second DVD will be the Tesca Nemerosa Arc."

This refers to US region 1 but I'm sure that it won't be long before it hits the UK.

It would also appear that "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" is making a comback, but this time in CGI form. Hopefully, the series will be a lot harder than the movies (although the first was heavily censored and toned down in the UK). More in keeping with the source material. Rumours are that John Woo is in some way connected.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Dirk,

I hate to say this, but personally I think that "Roughnecks" is awful. THe animation is good, but its dull in terms of plot and voice-acting. Even though it's technically aimed at 8-15 year olds, it just doesn't work for me, even against stuff like "Chicken Run", "Gogs", "Perfect Blue" or older works like "Disney's Tarzan", "Akira", et al.

As for John Woo being connected to a remake/updating of the Ninja Turtles, somehow I doubt this. The result would either be too violent for the target audience, or too tame for anyone but the youngest in the land, to enjoy. I can just see Chow Yun-Fat as Michaelangelo, and it don't quite work....

Pooch

3. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr pooch, fare enough you don't like RSTC, but tastes differ. I think animation has to re-invent itself at the moment. Disney is dead as far as I'm concerned. It has lost it's grasp on what makes a good product.

As for Woo's involvement with TMNT, well I'm just quoting from a site, OK. It might mean that he's just an associate producer or something.

The rumour was that the whole show would be CGI.

Personally, Woo's work has taken a serious nose dive since coming to the west. Hollywood takes someone or something then tries to change it to fit in with it's methodology and mindset. Net result, ******** products.

Hollywood takes talent like Jet Li, Jakie Chan, Woo etc and squanders the chance to make something exceptional.

MI2 was an appalling exercise in by the numbers, board room film making. The over use of CGI spoilt the film. We all no that Cruise can't do that kinda ****. Hell, I could have him in a fight. This sorta film making detracts from those who really can do the near impossible.

But I digress, RSTC may not be a cerebral masterpiece, but compared to a lot of products about at the moment (Max Steele for example)it's streets ahead.