ROUGH Estimate for a job like this...floating wall

I too build my own wall. I have a really good plasterer who comes and skims it, I also have a friend whos a cabinet maker and will bespoke make skirtings, cabinets, screen plinths etc. Still i build my own wall as I can cable as I am going and I can control what goes where. Its much easier for me to see it all in my head and understand whats going on than to explain to a trade. It is also as Chris says very, very important to get it all square, this takes time and generally if the wood is correct its a lot easier to get everything else true.

Well looking at your plan Dan (unless I have missed the point) there seems to be no particilar issue if you build
your false wall stand alone about 75mm from the chimney breast walls and alcoves.

Attached picture is a suggestion and should clarify.

In this kind of scenario I build the walls a tight fit to the ceiling and then tie
in to the chimney breast in a couple of places to stiffen up if required.

Be interesting to see your reply to this post to determine the exact problem you have.

Attachments

• plan 1.jpg
    plan 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 778
That looks good to me steve :)

Only queries I would have would be the best way to run the cables from the av rack in the other room through the false wall and behind the tv

Other things I need to sort:

1) An AV rack, best places to look???
2) a tv bracket (I like the ones that you are able to pull out should access be needed

Cables through wall from rack is no big thing.

If a solid wall I would core drill a couple of 80mm holes through or
knock a couple of half a bricks out vertically behind the rack tight to the back wall.
Finish with an MDF bezel on rack side, can't be seen behind new false wall.

Future automatiion PS42 or PS50 brackets.

Expensive but on ebay cheap here and there.

When you pull the TV out you will be able to see the original back
wall of the right alcove down the side of the chimney breast and
when you look through the wholes/slot behind the rack you will also
be able to see same wall.
Couple of rods with cables attached then Voila.
You can cable this as you go along because that route for cables will always
be there and accessible.

If there is a fire of some sort going in you will have to fit cable
tray at around 1200mm height to stop the cables falling down
near the gas fire or whatever.

Cheers Steve, all sounds pretty damn good! Whoever I get to install I shall mention all this too

Atleast I have a clear idea now

With regards to electronics where would you have sockets put in? Guessing the room with the av rack in?

Well of course, next to the rack.
I personally would use a long power lead from the TV, run it behind the
false wall and power that from the sockets next to the rack as well.
Saves you putting power sockets behind the TV when you have
mains power already available not to far away.

Happy to help

Steve

steve how would you get cables to the speakers? ( i have quad 22L2 floor standers so i'll have one in each alcove, (cut a hole in the false wall? feed it through?) how to keep it looking neat and hidden

same with the centre speaker which would be sat below the TV (dont think i'll have it recessed as again id be worried incase i change the setup)

Thanks

H Van Dam,
re. your speaker connections
this photo shows one of my custom speaker connection plates I manufacture but there are generic versions available.

Although I labelled it 'sub woofer' they can obviously be used for any speaker.
I upoaded a bunch of photo's earlier on this post which features this particular speaker plate in a cutaway photo.

Hope this answers your question

Steve

Cheers for the photo Steve, that looks good! :)

So I'm guessing with that, the cables are hidden in the false wall the the amp, and then you just buy extra able to go from this wall plate to the speakers/sub?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom