1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROTK spoiler about Saruman (contains pictures)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Setenza, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Remember this still leaked about 18 months ago about Saruman's death. Rather than have the "scouring of the Shire" where he meets his traditional demise, they opted for his death to happen at Orthanc, after the battle of Helm's Deep. The shot below shows the general point (no pun intended)

[​IMG]

Well those of you that have watched the extras on the extended version of TTT, will know that the death of Saruman was shot for the end of that movie, then shelved due to dramatic pacing. The idea was that it would be the opening sequence of ROTK, instead.

Below is a still from a rough cut, of the main protagonist entering the flooded circle of Isengard. I would draw you attention to the wooden wheel like structures on either side. These are obviously part of the winches, fly wheels and quasi industrialisation we saw being washed away by the ent flood. Look suspiciously like the instrument of Mr Lee's death as depicted above.

[​IMG]

Now I really don't have a problem with moving Sarumans death from the end of the story to the beginning of ROTK. Hell, I would have even enjoyed it at the end of TTT, but I understand the thinking in not doing so.

BUT!!!!!!!!! It would appear that the whole sequence has now been dropped from the theatrical release of ROTK in December. Please read the link bleow for verification.

ROTK & Saruman

Now I really think that this is going to impact on the cinema release. I mean are people really that stupid to assume that Saruman has been defeated? (On second thoughts, don't answer that). Are they happy for him just to fall out of the storyline? Well it's great that the scenes will be reinstated for the extended DVD release next November, but this isn't a good call in my opinion. Like others have stated, this throws up some continuity issues relating to the Palantir and Aragorn revealing his identity to Sauron. Not to mention Pippins reason in going to Minas Tirith.

What do you guys think?

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the spoiler would be in the text:(

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Sorry mate, I thought the title of the thread made it clear there were spoiler pictures.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I rushed in mate:suicide:

5. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you go to AICN & click on the related story, Peter Jackson himself explains the whole situation. He is regularly in contact with Harry Knowles.

6. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I beleive I have already provided a link to that very story. The material dipslayed via that hyperlink to TORN, came directly from AICN.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A major character dies and they leave it out of the theatrical version of the film sheeeeesh gimme a break thats just very very very silly and ridiculously bad, if it impacts on other characters and it seems to then it should be in the theatrical version and the extended edition when it arrives.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Let's hope Jackson isn't suffering from "Wachowski Syndrome" this Xmas eh?

9. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish they'd left the 'scouring of the Shire' in place, as it's quite important to the story. I can see why it's been dropped, but what happens to Wormtongue?

I for one believe Tom Bombadil is absolutely key to the trilogy, but I know few others agree. On the whole, the first two films were excellent, but it's a little frustrating that 'tricky' bits have been dropped.

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I would urge fans to sign the online petition.

Please uses the link below:

Saruman Petition

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The petition's futile, if you've read Jackson's comments he'll not change his mind. It's too late now anyway as far as I can see, he should have delivered the film by now ... his mistake was to drop it from the TTT as he originally planned, believing the 'pacing' didn't allow it, it should have been on the TTT:EE at the very least.

IMHO, this scene, though it's loss is tragic, isn't a major loss as far as RoTK is concerned.

I think it's safe to assume Jackson was well aware of the furore that would ensue when he decided to chop it .. I don't see him changing his mind now.

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its all politics, people would still go to the pictures and watch ROK with those extra 7 minutes in it or indeed an extra 37 minutes, there are hidden agendas and one of those is to make oodles more cash from a theatrical dvd and vhs version and then make oodles more from the extended editions.

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Someone should have sent a petition to Leonardo Da Vinci to make Mona Lisa a blonde...

I'm sure he would have listened.

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    She is blond, they had no colour tv's in those days