ROTK Screeners

Setenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well despite the MPAA, ROTK DVD screeners are now circulating.

Considering the distribution of the original source disks, surely it's fairly easy to track down who leaked it. I guess proving it is harder.

I'm sure this will be a big seller with the pirates as the previous copy in circulation was a VCD quality camcorder job.

I thought these DVDs are actually converted from an SVCD release of a VHS screener, not bad quality though ... allegedly. ;)

I'm sure you right. Just can't trust the packaging these days:D

One actor was caught about a month ago... 70 years of age had appeared in NYPD Blue & Godfather Pt 2... was an academy member, for leaking screeners.

I think I saw that report .. he said IIRC that he only gave copies to friends who he didn't think would pass them on.

These days there are a LOT of films circulating on the internet. For instance you can download a good quality copy of the 'Butterfly Effect' which isn't even out here yet.

I find it useful so I don't end up wasting money at the cinema to see rubbish, and if I enjoy a film, I'll always goto the cinema to see it anyway.

Obviously the pq isn't the same as the cinema, and the sound isn't great, but my receiver can simulate 7.1 anyway :)

the vcd i saw was awfull . i cant believe people would watch this on a vcd rather than in a cinema. points of note were the picture was fuzzy , the sound was awfull ...and yes where did all the missing bits go? check out paths of the dead for starters! i saw the movie at christmas 2003 and then borrowed a vcd to relive the memories..................gonna relive the memories again today.......propably at the ucg!!!

Alot of early vcd releases are quite bad but the newest release is a telecine with 5.1, very impressive how they make such high quality bootlegs but would rather go to the cinema to watch it or wait until the retail is released.

i agree....the latest releases now are getting harder to come bye and especially anything near dvd quality....those vcds of rotk have got to be the worse bootlegs ever and the fact that they had cut bits out to put it on disc makes me laugh...............now those acadamy screeners are a different matter they are pretty close to dvd [ although i think release dates of top movies are drawing shorter now....to scupper bootlegging.... the days of those star wars trilogy dvds on ebay are coming to an end]

Originally posted by krusty
those vcds of rotk have got to be the worse bootlegs ever and the fact that they had cut bits out to put it on disc makes me laugh
The first set of VCDs was indeed an aweful telecine, hacked to fit with unlistenable sound .. recently though the official VHS screener with Dolby stereo sound leaked out, complete with copyright watermarks :) .. when played on a normal/WS TV it's very watchable, with a projector it's not bad either .. allegedly. ;)

OTOH, it's not up to the quality of the TTT screener last year ... but it'll do until the real version of the movie is released in November. :D

Very true, unless its a short film telesyncs will always be missing some footage, another reason why telecines/vhs & dvd screeners are so popular with bootlegers.

Originally posted by FWA.jr
They have bits missing because a DV tape is 60 minutes long...
I take it you've not seen this version then.

There are 4 SVCDs, total 2Gb, the screener was on 2 tapes .. there is nothing missing at all, total running time is more or less exactly what it was in the cinema.

I think he is referring to bootlegs taken from camcorders in the cinema, not the screener.

OIC, that's the reference to the DV tapes .. certainly the cam-corded bootleg was missing 2 sections 3-4 mins each IIRC.

You know, if New Line released the real version sooner we'd not have to put up with poor-quality bootlegs. :D

Well its out in May so not that long to wait, its the Extended Edition im waiting for though, lets hope its not a November release.

Originally posted by Indiana Jones
its the Extended Edition im waiting for though, lets hope its not a November release.
:) .. that's what I meant by 'real', though I can see you would think I was referring to the May release.

I've not read anything other than November for the EE. :(

Originally posted by KraGorn
I've not read anything other than November for the EE. :(
New Line will be making an official announcement regarding
the EE edition of ROTK on March 8th.
I hope it's released sooner than November - Sept. 21st should
be a good date as I can't see any other dvd's being released
then that would provide stiff competition ;)

Ah thanks, I hadn't seen that news. I know the editing's completed at 4hr 10min and Shore said last month that he was scheduled to go into the studio in March to record the extra music.

Let's hope they don't make us wait till November. :)

Originally posted by KraGorn
Ah thanks, I hadn't seen that news. I know the editing's completed at 4hr 10min and Shore said last month that he was scheduled to go into the studio in March to record the extra music.

Let's hope they don't make us wait till November. :)

Weta digital might have a few hundred CGI shots to finish. Maybe they need until November.

i know before i mention this , members are going to say what do you expect but there is a rip off artist on ebay selling screeners , taking the money then changing id and not answering emails.... is anyone else waiting?[ i will point out i buy both versions of the discs...lotr, tt and will do the same with the official rotk

Merely the latest in a long line .. sadly they continue to find people who will fall for their con, though to be honest anyone buying an RoTK DVD HAS to know it's a screener, indeed the first ones last November were one of the worst kind of telecines. If I can't find them to download then I'd never part with money for them, especially no e-Bay.

I'm afraid you took a gamble and lost.

Originally posted by Jonny1973
Weta digital might have a few hundred CGI shots to finish. Maybe they need until November.
Read yesterday than McKellan has still some more ADR to do .. and you're right, since Jackson has put-back 50 mins then most, except maybe for the Saruman scene, probably needs tweaking, re-grading and whatnot .. however it's still being said that June is the intended completion of the final cut.

I hope you manage to retrieve your money though I have to say I don't understand why you risked it, seeing as how it was guaranteed to be an illegal copy and anyone selling those is leaving themselves wide open if they're caught.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom