1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROTK - Disc Playing Problems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PaulJ, Dec 20, 2004.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning All,

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problems as me.

I have the boxset which I ordered from Sendit, about half way through the film the picture just stopped. I forwarded the scene and it happened again a bit later but didn't stop, it just skipped a couple of minutes.

I returned this and a replacement was sent but exactley the same thing happens, but at a different time in the film. It happened a few times on this copy.

Any one else experienced this?

:rolleyes:

2. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i had this with rotk wich i bought from tescos i got to the bit where merry and gandalf are on the balcony in minas terith and it froze upon looking at the disc it was scratched to buggery so i took it back and they exchanged it

how is it that you get a brand new disc thats sealed but its still scratched?????

3. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly when it happended on mine on the second copy. I thought it might be a duff batch or something. As there were not scratches on it???

4. Riker

Riker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got around to opening my R2 copy. The first disc looks like someone has attacked it with wire wool (Scratched to death) but seems to play ok.

Tried the second disc and my player keeps giving me a dirty disc error - I eventually got it to play after 4 attempts (Disc has no marks on it at all)

All my other DVD's play perfect so I think I have a dodgey copy - its going back for replacement!

:mad:

5. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    this is totally unacceptable its not like this is a B movie for gods sake
    this is return of the bloody king such an eagerly awaited release should not have so many people with faulty discs :lesson:

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,392
    Any more news on this as I havent yet got around to watching my R2 copy of Return of the King but someone I know who got it for xmas has watched it on their Panasoinc DVD Recorder and the picture froze up around the 86min mark.

Now I have skipped to that part on my copy and it plays through fine but wont have time for awhile to sit through the whole thing so if anyone knows of any problem points on the disc I could test it would be very helpful.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I eventually got time to sit down and watch the whole film again. This time there were no jumps and the film didn't freeze at all, which is a bit worrying as it could be a random thing.

On the first set I had it stuck in the same place everytime at the same scene. I sent that one back. The second set on first time of watching it, jumped a few times and froze on one scene, about half way through the second disc. But not a problem when I watched it again.

Might watch it through again, its just getting time to sit down and watch a four hour film ! :zonked:

8. gipo

gipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the trilogy boxset and on the tt first disc scene 15,16,17 would not play. It just stopped when i got to scene 15. To view the rest I had to go back to the root menu.
    Anyway I contaced amazon and they replaced it and there all fine.
    I must also say that Im living in Ireland and amazon said I could keep the original (which still has two good copies fotr and rotk) because it would cost a lot for me to post, good service! :thumbsup:

9. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old player first gave me problems with EE of FOTR R1. About 6 months later I stated having problems with other discs, some the player wouldn't even read. So it was time for a new player.
    So I'll get to my point. My brothers kid PS2 was playing up for ever so before throwing it out he opened it and found that there was a hair stuck around the lens. The hair was taken out and the lens cleaned with a wet face wipe, no problems after that.
    So, I did the same with the old DVD Player, didn't see anything wrong so I gave the lens a wipe with a wet face wipe and haven't have any problems since.
    May have nothing to do with your problem, but I for 6 months thought that I had a faulty disc.

10. gipo

gipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try a lens cleaning disc before you opened it or are they worth it

11. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, I should have said that first. Yes, used a disc cleaner first, but not to much success. It was only a cheap cleaner so I can't speak for all of them, but I'm not much of a fan.
    I wouldn't encourage anybody to just open their DVD Player and clean the lens encase that ended its life altogether, remember I had bought a new one and was going to throw the old one out, but that’s two systems that the trick worked on i.e. PS2 + DVD Player.
    I guess that you should wait till you start having problems with other discs before you start opening the player.

12. gipo

gipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching rotk last night and half way through the second disc it started to stop and start until it stopped all together. I put in a lens cleaner and all was fine. Maybe it depends on how badly the hairs, dirt is stuck