1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROTK-Big bits missing??!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GreyTruth, Jan 8, 2003.

1. GreyTruth

GreyTruth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading on the net of big bits of Return of the King being missed out?!! Oh boy, does anybody know of what bits?? I hope it is not Frodo and gang 'kicking ass' when they get back to the Shire!

2. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Strong possibility I'm afraid.

:( :( :(

3. GreyTruth

GreyTruth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger!!!! But this is a crucial part of the book, it shows how the hobbits have matured and got courage! Also a certain bad wizard gets it!

4. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, I've also read that Jackson has cut bits out to make the narrative more straightforward.

SPOILERS!

The Scouring of the Shire is allegedly the major omission. PJ apparently has some other fate for Sauruman. So I guess the film finishes with Aragorn getting crowned King and then Frodo and Gandalf leaving for the Grey Havens.

If it's true, it'll be a shame. I think it's a lot more important to the overall story than "Hey Derry Dong Dillo" Tom Bombadil!

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Jackson mentions in his audio commentary to FOTR (extended edition) that we will not be getting the scouring of the Shire. You can tell this anyway by the way the mirror of Galdriel scene works.

6. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Dagnammit! :mad:

Hope it's not true.

7. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Spoilers*

It is true as PJ has been saying for a long time that this was not going to be in ROTK. For the book this works really well and shows how the hobbits have grown up during their journey. But for film I think Jackson is right as he will want a big dramatic end to the film but the with Scouring on the end it will would lose its dramatic impact, a bit like Minority Report this year with the last 1/4.

I think by now after two amazing films we are going to have to trust this masterful director as I am sure the last film is going to be the best of the three.

8. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ****Spoiler****

Hope the ending is made quite spectacular. When the ring gets destroyed (hope that didn't ruin it for anyone) it was a bit tame in the book, bity of an anticlimax.

I remember my friend being disappointed and saying, I thought Sauron would get it back and himself and Frodo would have a wrestle and a fight and then they would win, but alas, no. Would look good in the film though.

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shoka, I'll remove my quote of the spoiler alert also to maintain the thread's momentum.

Phil

10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Very true apocolypse, delorian please make sure you do this in future when giving away plotlines, especialy endings to trilogys. I have edited your thread to show this.

Thanks,

Shoka

11. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D at Sauron wrestling with Frodo, now that would be quite a scene.

12. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    *** SPOILER ***

It certainly looks like the Scouring of the Shire is to be omitted as in the book Sam recieves the small box of dust from Galadriel as they leave Lothlorien but in the FOTR film Sam recieves Elven rope.
    This omission would be hard to back track in ROTK so it looks like our initial fears are true.
    However it does ask the question as to how Peter Jackson deals with the demise of Wormtongue and Saruman (Sharky) - is he just going to leave them roaming around Middle Earth? or locked up in Issengard forever with Treebeard standing gaurd?

13. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you listen to the directors commentery on the Extended Edition of FOTR , PJ confirms that the scouring of the shire will not be included in ROTK. :(

14. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you remember where?

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    :rolleyes:

I'm not certain where this comes, but I think it's in the Mirror Of Galadriel scene. In the book the visions in the "mirror" are an actual prediction of the future. In the film they become a prediction of what the future would be like if the quest failed.

16. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nicholas B is right...I believe this is the point in the film that PJ confirms that the scouring of the shire will not appear in ROTK....the scene in FOTR was adapted and modified from the book to counter this fact.

Anyone who has read the books will know that that scene has been changed substatially from what was originally written.....not least of all because Sam is no longer present!

Its a shame...but I think we will survive and enjoy what remains judging by all that we have seen so far! :D