Roth Bar 3 or LG NB3530A

andyb1ack

Novice Member
I'm currently looking to buy a soundbar for my TV and have narrowed it down to these two. I would be connecting it to an LG 42ls570t smart tv which also has an LG HR935M Blu Ray player/Freeview+ Box and an xbox 360 attached to it. The main points attracting me to these two are the subwoofer and the Bluetooth connectivity and obviously them being in my price range (under £200).

I went into Richer Sounds today and the guy in there was the one who recommended the Roth to me stating that it had a better sound than one made by a company whose main focus is actually the TVs themselves. I am still looking at the LG though as I would have thought it would work better with my TV setup being all LG, possibly meaning I could use my normal TV remote to control the volume etc. But knowing me I'm probably wrong?

I am still obviously in two minds, so was wondering if anyone has any experience of either of these two bars or any other suggestions in my price range?

billy.batson

Standard Member
I just bought a Roth Bar 3, but have sent it back. The digital display on the front was impossible to set up, I spent an hour trying. Also I found the remote did not respond very well. Disappointed as would prefer to buy a British designed product.

Now I am looking for another make!

andyb1ack

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply! Just out of curiosity, what was there to setup on the display? Just the time etc? Or is it a bit more complex?

billy.batson

Standard Member
The display shows the mode you are in (TV, Movie, Stadium etc) and the clock. To set the clock you have to press Input and supposedly then set the time by going up and down on the Volume button. But it was impossible as it constantly defaulted to original setting every time. I tried for an hour and gave up. I know the clock is a small thing but I don't want to sit in front of a wrong time all the time.

Also, I can't say I was that impressed with the sound, it certainly didn't offer the speech clarity which I hoped for as I am a little hard of hearing.

Another thing was that the optical cable supplied did not fit the Optical Out on my 42" Panasonic TV which is about 5yrs old. I had to connect via the RCA Component.

I am now wondering about the Panasonic SC-HTB170EBS which Currys are selling at £99. Has anyone experience of the Sound Clarity on this?

andyb1ack

Novice Member
I think I've now scratched the Roth off my list after reading your experience and other reviews I've seen on the net.

I have now just seen the Sandstrom s42swlh13 on the currys website reduced from £299 to £150 and it has HDMI ports as well which most in this price range don't have. Has anyone had any experience of this bar before?

Barney Barney

Novice Member
Roth told me I'd somehow got hold of a 'gold' version - the first production run, which had this problem setting the clock. They should not have been for sale. Richer Sounds switched it over for another one, and I'm happy.

billy.batson

Standard Member
Mine came from Peter Tyson of Carlisle, via eBay, only last month, for £189. So they are apparently still selling old stock, yet no mention of that was made when I bought it. They refunded the money without comment, but not a good experience so that firm are best avoided unless they can guarantee you are getting the latest version.

Now looking at the Samsung HW-551, more expensive at £320 from John Lewis or Currys, but a much better spec and 2 year guarantee, plus better compatability with my Samsung F8500 55" TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom