1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel - Yamaha DSP-E800 Compatability

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by aliT, Jan 4, 2001.

1. aliT

aliT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can help.
    I have a Yamaha DSP-E800 Home Cinema Processor and a Rotel RA-931 (MkII) Amp

I have am currently experiencing problems in connecting the two devices.

When connecting the Yamaha to the tape loop or any other line level input on the amp the main speaker volume is very low. The output is taken directly from the main out, output on the Yamaha as per the manual. The volume knob has to be turned 3/4 full on to make any impression. The only port which seems to work correctly is the phono stage. The sound does not distort at any volume and returns a normal range. Both units seem to operate correctly when set in this configuration.

Is this correct ? I'm concerned about damaging the Rotel Amp, as I'm sure that the Yamaha is intended to be connected to a line level source.
    All the documents I read make no mention of connecting the device to the phono stage.

Are these two devices compatible with each other. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Ali,

I have a Yam E800.

Go to the set up procedure. Here you can alter the output level to the main stereo amp. Basically it will alter the output by +/- 10dB to enable you to match your amp. You will need to increase the output.

Also check that you have got the dynamic range set to 'Max' on both the Yamaha processor and your DVD player.

Good luck!

Any problems read the manual!

3. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Also - DO NOT CONNECT VIA THE PHONO STAGE!!!!

4. aliT

aliT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yep after a bit of configuration and changes to the surround levels on the processor I've have a fully working system.

It sounds fantastic. I can recomend the Yamaha to anyone who's looking to upgrade from 2 channel to 5.1