Rotel vs. Arcam CD players

go and have a listen to both as one isn't necessarily better than the other just different. You'll have to decide which is best to your ear. When I had a listen I prefered the Arcam sound to the rotel and ended up getting the Arcam cd72t (the cd73t has just recently replaced the cd72t and is retailing at a lower price-not sure why)
I have a cd72t for sale in the classified section if your interested. I'm selling as I've just upgraded to a naim cd5i:)

Originally posted by Hawklord

I'm selling as I've just upgraded to a naim cd5i:)

I really fancy one of those, what are you partnering it with ?

karkus30: have a look in his sig at the bottom of his post.

I personally don't like Rotel's CD players. They get far too excited far too easily and become a very tiring listen the more you're exposed to their 'fast' and unnaturally bright sound.

Arcam's offerings better meet my tastes, much more refined and smooth to listen to (I'm a firm believer that Hi-Fi should never be tiring to listen to). Although their budget offerings don't have the greatest resolving power.

Have you thought about Cyrus? They make some pretty respectable players around this price point.

Originally posted by karkus30
I really fancy one of those, what are you partnering it with ?

I've currently got an Arcam A75+ but I'm looking to upgrade with either a better integrated (maybe even a nait5) or just adding a P75+ for a little more power.
Which one did you fancy the cd72t or the cd5i?

Given he quoted your upgrade to the Naim, I'm guessing the CD5i.

I've got a rotel cd-02 I love the amp, it's a very open player in my opinion.

Keanyboy - admittedly I did demo the RCD-02 with an RA-02, which might have emphasised such problems.

The RA-02 and RCD-02 are excellent together IMO. The RCD-02 is not bright (warm if anything), the RA-02 is a little bit bright, but with the right speakers its a good system. RCD-02 = NOT BRIGHT. Older ones might have been.

What is the purpose of Rotel having two kinds of CD players in the RCD-1072 and the RCD-02? And although Hi-Fi Choice loved the RCD-1070 and the RCD-02, they find the RCD-1072, a disappointment. One would think, the latest and greatest would have significant improvements or maybe there was something wrong with the unit they tested and should have asked for a 2nd unit. Below is their quote:

"The sad fact is that early, pre-production samples were technically and subjectively superior to the final production sample reviewed here. As a result, the RCD-1072 sticks out as a rather sore thumb in a range populated by some of the best sounding DVD players, amplifiers and AV receivers available. If there's a chink in Rotel's seemingly impenetrable armour, this must be it."

RCD-02/RA-02
RCD-1070 (English)
Rotel RCD-02, RA-01, RT-02

Just try them out for yourself mate. Let your ears deside

Newer is not always better, sometimes lillys get guilded.

Also the 1072 is £220 more then the rcd-02, so not in the same price bracket.

Wow! That's a big difference in price. So why would one want to spend more for the RCD-1072? What is it's advantage over the RCD-02?

I am going to partner the Rotel or Arcam with their corresponding integrated amplifier using B&W Nautilus 805 speakers so I want to hear from people who actually have that kind of setup.

esquire415 I suggest you have a good long read of these forums, the many articles and reviews on the web and have several long demo sessions with a number of hi-fi dealers.

I say all this because if you are spending the kind of money needed to get B&W N805s and suitable related hardware yet can ask "So why would one want to spend more for the RCD-1072?", then something is lacking. There are people who spead £10k+ on a CD player and feel it is a worthwhile expensive over any of the Rotels or Arcams.

Well it will be its components; it may not have got as much praise as the rcd-02. But they are in a different price class. Alls I can say is I’m very happy with mine, and I was lucky enough to get my pair at a great price. Saved £200

I just got my B&W 805s in mint condition thru Ebay so I got a really good price for it (about %35 less than retail). I really would not buy anything at retail, that's how I save money and apply the savings to something else. I get top quality for less. There are people out there who are a little more practical and have only so much cash for one's budget. I do read the articles and message boards, that's how I learned about the mixed reviews on the RCD-1072, I even provided the links. I will be auditioning both the Arcam and Rotel CD players (and integrateds) w/ 805s to see or hear which one suits me. Would even be better if I can borrow them to audition at home.

Yes, I would assume the components would be different for the 1072 & 02 but could someone be more specific as to their difference besides the look? These two are almost internally identical. Both utilize the same circuits developed for reference class CD players, both use sophisticated overscanning disc mechanism and Burr-Brown IC, both have HDCD decoding and D/A conversion. Specs are virtually the same except for dimensions. Is it the power supply? Is it just marketing? Ok, ok...i'll go listen to them one of these days and check the difference.

Hahahaha. I liked that esquire415, you talked yourself around to the right conclusion without us saying anything! :D

Originally posted by esquire415
I really would not buy anything at retail, that's how I save money and apply the savings to something else. I get top quality for less.

I bet your local dealer loves you. ;)

Top quality for less:smashin:

as long as you give your local dealer (where you audition stuff) some of your business of course:lesson:

Esquire,

I have the cd 73. The integrated that I purchased was quite a lot better than the integrated from the range the cd 73 was in. I have the b&w cdm 7 nt will all kimber wiring and this setup great. It really is superb. I think you should to at least a FMJ A 32 amp together with a pair of 805s.
I compared it all during my test with a rotel setup. It was a RC 70 pre and end and the cd player from te range. It sounded quite ok, but it was no match with the arcam setup. Have fun listening en goodd luck with your decision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom