1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RSX-972 vs Yamaha HTR-5490

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by sm-audio, Jan 12, 2004.

1. sm-audio

sm-audio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Would appreciate some opinions and assistance on AV receiver choice. Am in market for receiver and speakers (at moment am looking at Tannoy Mercury, front only until save money for surround, plus I like music more then DVD). My room is medium sized (6mx5m).

So I'm looking at Rotel RSX-972 and Yamaha HTR-5490 (also looking at NAD 752 but it's out of stock where I live and they're now awaiting the 753 upgrade in a month or so).

I know audiophiles tend to prefer the pedigree of Rotel for CD and I tend to to agree.

But my friend, who owns a Yamaha, points out some technical spec differences and tells me I'm paying an unnecessary premium for the Rotel for slightly better sound quality and I'd be better off spending the extra money on better speakers.

For example, he points to the Y's THD of 0.04% vs R 0.09%. Mind you, I can't seem to find any lab tests on the Y which test their output using all 5 channels or even just 2 channels (and the Yamaha website doesn't help much either... http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/gAVR00010).

I'm also told the Y can handle television reception quality better (something about 60 MHz component video bandwidth) and can also do DVD-Audio (specs state: compatible with the 96 kHz/24-bit format of DVD-Audio). In either case I'm not sure what the comparable Rotel specs are.

What about other receivers. I've read of the Denon 2803 but haven't listened to yet.

Would really appreciate opinions and advice.

2. arf005

arf005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In our Den.....or off-shore in the middle of the N
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello sm-audio,

this is my first reply/post so bear with me......

I own the RSX-972 and in my current set up I cannot fault it, for the money!
    I upgraded to this model and got a deal when buying the Rotel RDV-995 as well.
    Combined with my B&W CM series speakers this is an impressive package for home theatre, and stereo audio. CM4 fronts, CMC centre and 601 S2's as rears creates a balanced soundstage.
    The amp has serious power for it's price and as usual with Rotel - quality internals.
    This becomes more apparent when you turn the volume up! The B&W's sound better at higher volumes and can really blow you away. Music dvd's especially sound great, but even in stereo with cd's the amp has pace and presence.
    For the price I don't think anything can touch it. Yes, there are more powerful amps, and yes there are 6 and 7.1 channels out there, but do we really need them....
    Forget the DSP modes, we really don't need them!
    For Dolby Stereo, Dolby Digital, and DTS this receiver has serious power to impress. I would recommend it to anyone, and if they aren't convinced I'd have them come round for a listen!

If you want a look, check out - http://www.avforums.com/memberpages/31759/

3. Coaxial

Coaxial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is no competition whatsoever. the rotel will kick the arse off the yam any day of the week!
    rotel rate their amps all channels driven, 20 - 20. Yam's are 1 channel driven 100%, the rest at 1 watt. Please do the right thing and pay a bit more for a world more enjoyment - the 972 will never let you down (i know, i've got one, but used to workj in hifi retail, so got it after trying _every_ amp in the shop)