Question Rotel rsx-1067 tripping circuit breaker.

Oldbillgoggles

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me with this.
I have just bought a Rotel rsx 1067 from a popular auction site. On testing, it seems prone to tripping the circuit breaker, when powering on at the master power switch.
I did some short tests on the unit this morning -
I only have a stereo speaker set up, so I was checking each analog multi channel input from my blu ray player, to test each amp sequencialy. It all seemed to work. However, when I switched the master power switch off, it tripped the circuit breaker.

I have tried turning the master power switch on and off some 30 times, with nothing connected to the receiver - and it has tripped the circuit breaker around 5 times.
The manual says the unit is designed to be left in standby mode, so I'd like to know if this is normal behaviour, or if there is a likely fault with the receiver.
The seller agreed to a 1 week test period, to allow for a refunded return if I found any faults in the unit.
I'd be very grateful for any advice, as it sounded very nice on testing with stereo Quad 21L speakers.

I hope someone can help me with this.
I have just bought a Rotel rsx 1067 from a popular auction site. On testing, it seems prone to tripping the circuit breaker, when powering on at the master power switch.
I did some short tests on the unit this morning -
I only have a stereo speaker set up, so I was checking each analog multi channel input from my blu ray player, to test each amp sequencialy. It all seemed to work. However, when I switched the master power switch off, it tripped the circuit breaker.

I have tried turning the master power switch on and off some 30 times, with nothing connected to the receiver - and it has tripped the circuit breaker around 5 times.
The manual says the unit is designed to be left in standby mode, so I'd like to know if this is normal behaviour, or if there is a likely fault with the receiver.
The seller agreed to a 1 week test period, to allow for a refunded return if I found any faults in the unit.
I'd be very grateful for any advice, as it sounded very nice on testing with stereo Quad 21L speakers.
Are you talking about a ring main circuit breaker?
If so, it appears to me that there is a fault, either with your breaker sensitivity or with the Rotel.
This link mentions this happening in connection with a rsx 1067
20 Amp Breaker keeps tripping - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Also in general
Amp is tripping circuit breaker when turning on! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Sounds like there is some sort of power on surge which is drawing more current than the breaker can cope with and it then identifies that as a short and trips out. What else is on the same ring main circuit and is receiving power when you turn on the Rotel? Might be worth checking the plug or if it is a kettle type lead trying a different one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply doug56hl.
I'll check what else is on the ring circuit later.
I tried another kettle lead and the problem persisted. I also tried another socket and the same problem.
The breaker was a BSEN B20.
I don't think there was anything major on the original circuit powered on - but I'll check again later. Will update when I've done another test.
All the best, Tim

To update - I have tried this on two separate ring circuits and tested with 3 different kettle leads and the problem persists.
Certainly, on one ring circuit there was nothing major powered on, running off the circuit - just the landline phone charging unit and a tv on standby.

I think it is most likely a fault in the receiver.
It did sound very nice on my breif testing but I am tempted to return it, as I imagine any repair on the unit could be complex and expensive.
Any further opinions or advice would much appreciated.
All the best, Tim

Do you have an electric cooker point on the wall that also has a 13amp socket on it?

Also worth looking at the breakers in your fuse box, are the ring main breakers type b or c

Hi there.
I'm very far from a techie - so please bare with me.
We have a gas cooker, so I'm guessing that's not the problem.
The breakers are marked b20, so I assume they are type b. I've attached a photo of the breakers.
Hope that helps. All the best, Tim

Attachments

• 20200229_111829.jpg
    20200229_111829.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 63
Hi Dave and Doug.
Thanks very much for your tips.
I have tested the unit again at a house I am refurbishing, with a new electrical installation. It has a new consumer unit and breakers. The Rotel seems to power on and off fine with no tripping at the main fuse box.

Looks like the problem was the wiring or old breakers in the fuse box at the property I'm staying in.

One question for Dave. The new consumer unit is fitted with b20 breakers. Is that suitable or should it be type C?

All the best, Tim

Well a type C will handle a large inrush current better than a B
In this H/S age best talking to a sparks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom