Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Rotel RSX-1056 and B&W 601 S3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SD_David, Mar 7, 2005.

1. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am planning a HT. Currently, I'm set on buying some DM601 S3 for the front and 600 S3 for the rear, LCR60 S3 for center and ASW600 sub. I will be using the room (14 1/2 feet x 10 1/2 feet) DVDs, HDTV, and music.

I have a couple of questions:

- Are the 601's going to be enough with that sub or should I go for the 602's or ASW650 or ASW675?

- I'm considering a Rotel RSX-1056 rather than seperates for cost savings. How will this receiver be with those speakers...I've read they match well?

- what other receivers would be recommended?

- I have an old Sony STR-DB930 that I'm assuming will not drive these speakers well enough...correct?

- I like the look of the RSP-1068 preamp/pro. What amp would work well with it? How much better than the RSX-1056 will this be?

Thanks. I'm a newbie so excuse what might be simple questions for this forum :)

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    First of all welcome to the forums, right i will try and help you with some of your questions;

Looking at the B&W website the 601s go down to 60hz and the 600's down to 75hz so you will probably set the amps crossover at 80hz for the sub, so yes the 601s and 600s will be fine as opposed to the 602s. With regards to the sub i have the 675 and it is an excellent sub, i would be biased on getting that as opposed to the 600 sub as i think that the sub will last a speaker upgrade or so, now you are on the forums you will catch the bug going round i.e the upgraditis bug :)

I have the 1055, the predecessor to the 1056, and it drives my B&W 700 series very well, the volume on the amp goes up to 85 (it doesnt seem to be in the db rating that most receivers have) and i only have it between 45-50ish and this is plenty loud enough, and that is also drivinf 4ohm rear speakers.

I too liked the preamp combo but the 1056 will be a 1068 with amplification, if you want the 1068 then the natural choice would be the Rotel 1075 amp. With the 1056 though you do have the choice of buying the 1075 further down the line which will also enable you to biamp, if you want to. Buying separates though does add a lot of flexibility.

3. kenoval

kenoval
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I would echo what inzaman says about the ASW675 - I've got one and used it in a similar sized room to yours and it rocks.

BTW - I've got a 1055 for sale in the classifieds if you're interested - still a guarantee left on them.

4. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Inzaman, thanks for info (and the welcome!). I think I'll audition the ASW675 then. Seeing how kenoval has a 1055 for sale, I'd be interested to hear your comemnts regarding its gneral feature set etc.

5. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, do you think that for a room the size of mine the 602's would be too much? The price difference between those and the 601 isn't that great.

Thanks

David

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMHO, the 602's would be to much for your room. They perform best in free space.

I see no reason why the Sony would not drive the B&W. They do have dips in the frequency responce where they present a difficult load, so unless you will be running a sub 100HZ test tone for an extended period of time, it should be fine. Having said that, they will perform better with better quality amplification. IMHO, the Rotel is overkill. Depending on your leanings of movie/music, I think something along the lines of a Denon 2105 would be adequate.

I also would lean towards the ASW675.

7. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Yes, I had the Denon on my candidate also. When you say "They perform best in free space" what do you mean given that the room is only 14.5 x 10.5 feet?

8. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They need to be a metre or more away from the wall.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    It will have everything you need, well it does for me anyway, it can do the new surrounds i.e DTS discrete and matrixed, the only problem (if it is a problem) is that it only has five channels of amplification so if at a later date you wish to have 7 surround speakers you will need to get another amp to drive two of the additional channels.

The second hand prices that the 1055 are going for make it a bit of a bargain imo.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my two penneth:

The DM602's are fine for your room, and can be put even 20cm up to a wall without any problems. Wether they'll offer any real benefit over the 601's when you're using a sub anyway is doubtful however, so think do you want the much bigger cabinet for very little if any performance difference?

The B&W's are fairly easy to drive, so you should get good sound out of your Sony and its worth keeping it, trying it in your room, and then decide on an upgrade. A Denon 2105 would be a sideways move, and you would still be not doing the B&Ws justice. The Rotel would be a perfect match, not overkill at all, and Rotel amps sing with the B&W DM600s like no other amp - though of course you must try Denon's equivalent, and try to catch the other usual suspects (Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Onkyo).

Good luck, if you demo before you buy and decide what's worth the money and what isn't then you can't go wrong.

11. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Inzman. As it turns out, I can't buy the 1055 from kenoval because I am a Brit living in the US...having said that, I'm, in England at the end of March so maybe :)

Thanks for the reply.

12. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...good advice that i think I will heed. I'll try the sony 930 first then see. I don't need to send video through it so won't miss the component video. I'm going to be using a Sony VPL-HS51 projector that has both HDMI for my DVD input (I'm planning on a Denon 2910...any thoughts on that model) and a component input that I'll use for my cable box. If I want hook up a gaming console or PC I might have to switch s-video though...should be good enough for games.

13. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this isn't the DVD forum but since we're talking of driving the B&W 600 series, anyone got an opinion on how well a Denon DVD 2910 will work, using the Sony STR-DB930 and the B&W601s? I've heard the Denon is excellent for music.

Does anyone know what the native output is of the 2910? 480P or 720P (their website is one of the poorest I've come across for seeing quick specs)? The projector I'm going to buy is native 720P and I want to match that so there will be no conversion necessary.

thoughts?

Thx.