1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RSP1066

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by slingshot, Aug 1, 2002.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So anyone seen or heard one of these yet ?

My dealers still trying to find out if their are any in the country for me to listen to.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    u want to try getting hold of one in Dublin.....impossible!!

3. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got at least two dealers in the South-East who are able to dem and I know have supplied, so you should be able to find it now.

Stuart

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
  5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep found one, it should be turning up tomorrow, then I'll try it at home and see what it sounds like, hope it's as good in Stereo as people are claiming, otherwise it looks like saving for a bit longer for a TAG or Arcam.

6. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hopefully will also dem this weekend. Been told £995 for RSP-1066 and £845 for RMB-1075.

Anyone seen any discounts. It seems good value for what's on offer until you look at US and Canadian prices :-(

Stuart

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not seen it any cheaper, it seems Rotel have stopped allowing their products mail order the same as Linn, Arcam etc, so probably precludes the cheapo net places stocking them.

I'll be using Arcam amps with mine, because I've already got a couple of power amps and I'm quite attached to them.

I was thinking of also borrowing a TAG AV32 to compare, but decided against it cause I know I'll prefer the TAG, so I'll be comparing it with an Arcam AV50 and DSPE-800 for Digital.

Hopefully I'll be able to give people some idea after a weekend of playing (assuming it turns up tomorrow).

8. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    So does anyone know any dealers in the watford, North london area?

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    £845 for RMB 1075 is a bit pricy, as list is only £800!!

try www.superfi.co.uk for a better price.

slingshot, post your finding when you take delivery :)

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too far away, I know they have all the new Rotel kit in stock at Audio T in High Wycombe, 20 mins from Watford.

11. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So wheres the best place to buy the Rotel RSP1066? Does anywhere have them cheap?

12. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Think prices must have gone up everyone has it listed at 845.

Had no look finding the RSP1066 any cheaper, if I keep it, it looks like I'll be paying TSP, but it would have to be a lot cheaper anyway I'm quite happy buying from a local dealer and paying for service.

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    also try Practicial Hi-fi, paid £700 for mine their in late Feb this year.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

15. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well that's ruined my weekend, the processors turned up, but it looks like another week for the other Arcam Power amp I need to turn up !

Oh well I could always get it and set it up and check out it's stereo abilities, then maybe use AV50 to power the rear speakers for now.

16. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had the opportunity to listen to a RSP-1066 with an RMB-1075 over the weekend. Not a full review (and what do I know anyway?!), but first thoughts:-

Pretty straightforward to setup if you've set up other surround amps before. Only gripe is the usual one of having to set speaker delays in milliseconds rather than by distance.

I tried it with lots of my favourite auditioning scenes from DVDs (e.g. shoortout in Heat, Parisian pursuit in Ronin, Morpheus' escape in The Matrix, bits of The Sixth Sense and the opening battle from Gladiator). Overall my impression was that the processor was revealing lots more detail than I'd heard before in most of these scenes (mainly surround details). That's compared to listening to Denon AVR3802, AVC11SR and Rotel RSP-976, but none of these back to back - strictly long-term subjective memory :)

I was very impressed with Dolby Prologic II (which is one of the reasons I've waited for this processor rather than buying an older Rotel model). Really livens up TV and other Dolby Surround tracks both with better surround but also much cleaner dialogue from the centre. I tried this back to back with DD 5.1 on a scene from Heat for instance and found it did an excellent job. In fact, I also accidentally left it on when I watched a bit of Final Fantasy and didn't realise that I wasn't listening to DD 5.1 until afterwards (I haven't heard that film in 5.1 before anyway). Make of that what you will - either Prologic II's very good or my ears are duff!

On music, which is the other reason I waited for this processor compared to other things I'd tried, I was very impressed. Without doing a back to back I couldn't tell whether it was noticeably better than the RSP-976, but it certainly does a much better job with music than other AV amps I've tried. I would describe it as being able to "project" the sound from the speakers better so that you feel the singer is standing out in front of the plane of the speakers rather than the whole sound stage being in one plane (is that what they call depth?). Anyway, coupled with a light and open delivery, I liked it a lot. Some of this could be down to the power amp, but then I see that as relevant given that the price of the RSP allows one to think about having a separate power amp when I otherwise couldn't.

Anyway, that's enough for now. If there's anything specific anyone would like to know, reply to this and I'll see if I can help.

Stuart

17. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    More first impressions :-

Bear in mind a couple of things though 1 - I did a fairly quick setup and didn't play too much, basically all speakers small and crossover at 100Hz. (SPL meter used to calibarte) 2 - The power amp I wanted to use didn't turn up so I was using an AV50 as power for center and rears (Alpha 9P for fronts).

I thought 5.1 was significantly better over my AV50 using a Yam DSPE-800 as processor, there seemed to be more detail, in particular the surround channels seemed to be handled better, i.e. I could hear the chopper circling at the start of Apocolypse now with more precision. I then watched the lobby scene in the Matrix, and again was impressed with the surround effects (I use monopole speakers because I like surround to be fairly directional). The dialogue on the center channel was also extremely clear, and significantly less sibilant than I used to get off the Yam.

Now for the important bit (well for me anyway) stereo mode, first off I've never heard a surround amp or reciever (Denon's, Yams, sony's etc) that ever even got near to the AV50 for stereo (the reason I bought the AV50 in the first place). Initially I stuck on 1 of my favorite CD's Faithless - Sunday 8PM, impressed not at all, the treble was edgy and the bass was wallowy and boomy. I then tweaked the sub a bit for stereo mainly because I forgot that it was handling upto 100Hz which was overlapping the main speakers, in stereo mode the RSP doesn't appear to use it's filters for the main speakers, i think it remains in analogue throughout. This sorted out the bass which is now undoubtedly it's best point, it really is solid and tight. I still didn't like the top end, however either I've got used to it (must swap back to the AV50 and check it out again or compare to my Rotel integrated in another room), or it's actually getting better as the processor has run in a bit (it was brand new boxed when I got it so this is possible). The soundstage is noticably better using the RSP, I had to check I wasn't using some freaky DSP mode or ProLogic II it was that wide, this really impressed me, I reckon it's probably up there with a 4 or 500 quid stereo preamp (no direct comparison though, just going from memory of Alpha 9's and Talk Hurricane ????).

Over the weekend I've listened to a fair bit of both stereo (using both CD and LP12 turntable), and movies. And the more I listen the more impressed I am, the treble edginess seems to have gone, and the bass is still well controlled, Basement Jaxx - Where's you head gone on vinyl sounded truly awsome. This morning before coming to work I tried out Massive Attack Mezzanine on vinyl and Skunk Anasie - Headonism on CD, at pretty rediculous levels (my neighbours all go to work early), and the amp coped well with both of them.

Things I didn't like :-
    1 - Well the blue power light is as annoying as hell, might have to ruin the front panel with some carefully placed masking tape.
    2 - You can't adjust the speaker levels without using the test tone (I was trying to use VE to do this).

So am I going to keep it ? Well probably I'll do some more listening this week, and also reconnect the AV50 for a direct comparison, strange but it's probably it's performance in 5.1 that will probably swing it though rather that it's stereo performance.

Hope someone finds this useful, any questions and I'll try and answer them.

Slingshot.

18. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Funny you should mention the opening of Apocalypse Now and lobby scene in the The Matrix. I forgot to mention that I used those two over the weekend as well! Agree that the helicopter does a good circle round :). Seems we agree on the good surround detail provided by this processor. Other detail I noticed included squeaking of the carriage as Commodus and Lucilla travel to the front at the beginning of Gladiator and a mosquito buzzing past my ear when Willard and Chef go looking for mangos in the jungle of Apocalypse Now.

FYI - there is a lot of discussion on the RSP-1066 which included extensive discussion of bass management with analogue sources going on at this US based forum. If you're interested:-

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...readid=59236&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=1

The only other negative that I forgot to mention so far is that my system has a hum/buzz under certain conditions. This appears to be when no digital signal is being detected (i.e. it stops completely as soon as you press play on a DVD). I haven't had time to work out whether its present underneath analogue sources yet but will try and test.

I believe I remember some discussion of this on the forum above - (will check). I hope it disappears with analogue sources as well as digital as it would otherwise be a serious negative.

19. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sraper,

If you're in the Watford area, surprised you've not mentioned Acoustic Arts - Tel +44 1923 24 52 50. They stock Rotel. I have used them for some time & have been v. happy. Not open on Mondays. Worth going there just for the drool factor...