1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RSP1066 or Denon A11SR

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by RushmoreGrad, Aug 8, 2002.

1. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would offer the best processing:

Rotel RSP1066

or

Denon A11SR?

2. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should ask that, i was about to ask the exact same thing.

3. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone will answer soon:)

The a11sr looks alot nicer, does dts 24/96, thx ex, but most experts on these forums promote the use of seperates. The a11sr uses two AD Sharc processors, the same model number found in the tag avr32, only it has two. I dont know which chipset the rotel uses, I dont even know if this is important!

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think Rotel generally use crystal chipsets. I really don't think the latest and greatest processors are that important. More than a few times I have read reviews of very high end kit, and they still use older chipsets - only more efficiently.

I have just looked on the Rotel website and was surprised to see a section at the bottom of the page titled "Get Software Update". Evidently Rotel are offering free upgrades ala Sony 9000 series to those with the RSP-1066's.

Russell

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Evidently Rotel are offering free upgrades ala Sony 9000 series to those with the RSP-1066's.

Some do call them bug-fixes ... :devil:

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53

Well, yes, there is that. ;)

But at least they are offering the upgrades, and for a processor that doesn't cost the earth (~£1000?). That in itself should be commended.

Russell

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That in itself should be commended.

Absolutely! :)

8. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know its an old thread, but anyway...

I dem'd the 11SR and liked it compared to the 3802 I tried before that - quite a big difference on music.

I have ended up buying an RSP-1066 however because for £1900 I was able to get that and an RMB-1075. With this power amp, there is a big big difference compared to the 11SR even to my cloth ears.

Not too sure whether I'm qualified to answer your question about processing. I'm not experience enough with home cinema and would probably need to try back to back. I am very happy with the processing of my RSP-1066. Certainly sound effects go swirling around the room very effectively (which I guess is the pointg :)) and it sounds less harsh on things like battle scenes (e.g. Braveheart and Gladiator ) than other receivers I have listened to.

The biggest difference is on music though where this combo puts in a worthy performance. Great presence and plenty of power to keep things under control (even with my relatively tricky Dynauido floorstanders).

Hope that's some help. Worth a listen at any rate even if they are a little tricky to track down (call B&W to find your nearest dealer).

Oh and the software update thing. Well, yes agree on the bug fix thing, but do you really think that other processers whose manufacturers charge for updates are bug free? The updates from Rotel have also added features to the firmware (e.g. automatic EX flag detection).

Cheers
    Stuart

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info stuart. I think that perhaps because you are in your words 'not qualified' means you trusted your ears and are giving us a fair amount of truth!

You do know that your next upgrae is a 1095 to biamp your speakers with! ;)

ad

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don´t know about the processing, but you will get better amplification, and more versatility, for sure...

11. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dynaudio don't believe in biamping, but that's a whole 'nother thread... :D

Stuart