Rotel RSP-1098 Giving me grief. Repair or replace?

Boopop

Hello,

I've been using a Rotel RSP 1098 sound processor my dad gave me (lucky me!) since late 2014. It's been working well since then. In the past few weeks however the long toslink cable I run from my PC to it on the other side of the room for music playback has been giving me grief. After about 30 minutes or so the connection frequently drops out. I can hear the RSP clicking as if it thinks it's lost the connection too. Fingers crossed it's just the cable I was hoping. Just spent some time watching TV (another toslink cable going from TV to RSP) - lo and behold, it does the same thing.

So, two questions:
  1. Is it possible that the Rotel amp (RB-991) is causing this? Seems unlikely but I have a spare RB 993 which I was also given which I could swap out (I only use stereo).
  2. Is it worth repairing the RSP if it is that which is broken? If not, what would be a suitable replacement? I use a pair of AELite Two speakers. Looking at the price of a RSP 1098 on eBay, I'm not too keen on spending that kind of money on another one or an equivelant replacement. Would something around the £3-400 mark still give me as good sound as I'm used to? I'm guessing not but then I'm not much of an audiophile myself!

shug4476

If you are only using it in stereo, it would probably be cheaper to replace it. Lots of good options if you are only using toslink. Tag McLaren, Arcam, other Rotels, all go at very agreeable prices.

Have you contacted Rotel for repair estimate?

Boopop

My dad came to the rescue in the end and suggested a DAC rather than a full blown audio processor. Ended up finding an Audiolab M-DAC+ for £536 :) Arrives on Monday. I think I'll just sell the Rotel for spares or repair.

shug4476

The Audiolab is fantastic. A good choice.

cwt

I can hear the RSP clicking as if it thinks it's lost the connection too. Fingers crossed it's just the cable I was hoping. Just spent some time watching TV (another toslink cable going from TV to RSP) - lo and behold, it does the same thing.
Its possible the toslink digital ins have gone since its both of them Boopop .. I would have tried a simple toslink rca digital converter to the 1098 just to troubleshoot and possibly save some dosh :)
Its a good upgrade anyway though ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom