1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RSP 1066 with Denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Sab, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am planning on exchanging my Arcam FMJ A22 stereo amp for a Rotel 1066 processor which I can get ex-dem.

At the moment I have connected the L / R preouts of my Denon 3803 to the Arcam A22 and use the Arcam to power the front L / R speakers. Although adequate for music the Arcam is not exciting and is bass light.

So I have to decided to swap my Arcam A22 for a Rotel 1066 processor and use with the Denon 3803 as a poweramp.

I know that the Rotel is a much better processor than the Denon, but will I get any real benefits?

I will have to wait till I have saved enough before I go for the Rotel 1075 powe amp.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I and many others on this forum find the processing of the Denon receivers to be very good. Thier weak link is the amps as they can not deliver the full power they are rated at when all channels are driven. I previously had a 3802 that was rated at 105w per channel but never got even close to that running it as a 6.1 system.
    Yes the rotel may well be better for processing but IMHO I think you will notice very little difference with the lack of 'ompf' from the amps. This will be even more noticeable as you are doing away with an external amp that was helping the 3803 previously.
    Also the AV receivers are normally fairly poor for music and compared to the Arcam will be even worse. I ran my 3802 with front L&R powered by a pair of Arcam Alpha 8 amps biamping them as I found the receiver dull and lifeless with music.

As an intermediate step to a separate power amp though it may well be a good move until further funds are available for it - just don't expect a large improvement until then.

Mark.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have you considered going the other way and adding a 3 channel Arcam FMJ or DIVA power amp and using the Denon as a processor? This is the route I took to get to a processor / power amp based system by gradually phasing out a Pioneer 2011.

Would be an interesting demo at least. I am also not convinced the 1066 would be that big a step up from the Denon's processing ability. Plus if you drop the A22 your 2 channel performance will take a downturn.

Gus

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Since , as you both say, I will not get much improvement until I get a matching poweramp and stereo performance will suffer I will not exchange my Arcam A22 for the Rotel 1066.

I will try looking for an Arcam Diva / FMJ poweramp ex-dem.

Thanks for your help!

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sab

Wasn't saying not to get the Rotel, just to look at getting a demo of both systems back to back.

Only your ears can decide which is best, the number of times I have gone to listen / buy the latest big thing and preferred another option are many.

I would expect the Rotel to change the sound of your setup but whether it would be considered a big improvement was what I was questioning. Upgrading the power section in line with your already excellent FMJ CD and Amp opens up the option to save up and replace the Denon with something like a used AV8, Tag or Meridian :D

Gus

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,522
    I've just recently added power amps to my 3803 and this has made a HUGE difference to the sound.. the amps in the 3803 are definitely very weedy in comparison to a decent quality power amp..

All depends what you're after, and what your ears like best, but i'd suggest keep the denon for now at least as it's a good processor, and get a nice power amp first.

I'd imagine any processor is going to benefit from a good power stage, so this would be the first thing on my list if I was in your shoes..