• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

rotel rp-1500 turntable help needed.

merlincoops

Established Member
My uncle sadly has no more need of this and has said I can have it. The unit has a wire with two large and one thin strand, they are not terminated but the large wires.have plastic in them with an inner and outer wire . I am a complete.novice at this and would.like to connect it to an arcam diva a65 plus, any help appreciated.

richie60

Established Member
Sounds like the two wires you mention will need to be terminated to RCA phono plugs. The inner core being separated by insulation (plastic) from the outer core.

The third cable is probably the earth wire which terminates to the chassis ground on the amplifier.

If you or a friend is handy with a soldering iron, go get a pair of phono plugs and terminate the cable. Does your amp have a dedicated phono input? If not, you will need a phono stage. The tiny signal from a turntable is not as powerful as the normal line level input hence the need for the phono stage.

Mr Pig

Prominent Member
Spot on Richie. Phono plugs on the thick wires and you're sorted. One of the thick wires will have a red inner insulator or be marked with a red line or something. That's the right channel so mark the plug in some way.

You don't need any plugs on the earth strap, a bare wire is fine.

merlincoops

Established Member
Thanks guys, my amp has a mm phono stage, would this be suitable? Do I have to separate the inner and outer wires within the phono plug and is this a straight forward procedure? Finally, is this turntable any good?

Mr Pig

Prominent Member
my amp has a mm phono stage, would this be suitable?

Yes. There are basically two popular types of pickup cartridge fitted to Hi-Fi turntables, Moving Magnet and Moving Coil. The only difference between the two, from a practical point of view, is that the output of a MM cartridge is higher than the output of a MC one.

MM cartridges are typically cheaper than MC ones and are the only type available below about £100. For that reason budget amplifiers sometimes only came fitted with a MM input as it was reasoned that few people would want to use a very expensive cartridge through a budget amp.

All this means for you is that you need to use a MM cartridge. If you plugged a MC cartridge into your amp you'd hear the signal from the record but it would be very faint. It's not much of a limitation as there are many fine MM cartridges that will serve you well. As the deck is old it's probably wise to replace the cartridge as the stylus might be very worn and the cartridge suspension stiff. Have a look and see what kind of cartridge it is, it will have markings on it. You could ask your uncle how old the cartridge is, you might be lucky find it's perfectly usable. Doubt it though so swapping it for an Audio Technica AT95E would be a good idea.

Do I have to separate the inner and outer wires within the phono plug and is this a straight forward procedure?

If you've soldered stuff before then yes. If not you'd be better getting a mate to do it. The wires in the centre of the cable go to the pin on the phono plug and the outer wire goes to the body. When you open the back of the phono plug you'll see what I mean, it's obvious. Remember to SLIDE THE PLUG BACKS onto the cable BEFORE you solder the plugs on! Trust me, everyone who's put plugs on has forgotten to do it at least once and it's VERY annoying.

Is this turntable any good?

It's probably pretty decent. Rotel were very well known for their solid quality, good sounding budget kit, especially their amplifiers, so although their turntables never set the world alight they would not have been junk. In good working order it's probably on a par with a deck costing maybe £200 to £400 today. That's a guess but it'll be in the ball park.

The key phrase is 'good working order'. It's a mechanical device and is old meaning it could almost certainly benefit from some attention.

I would:

Clean out the bearing and put new oil in it.
Clean the drive surfaces and fit a new drive belt.
Replace the rubber mat with a felt one.
Check the play/float in the arm bearings and adjust if necessary.

If after that the deck is working correctly you're good :0)

merlincoops

Established Member
Unfortunately due to a stroke he won't be answering any questions but prior to this he kept all of his kit in great con#ition with himself being a folk musician he loved his music and played it all the time
All servicing done, will this sound more involving than my arcam cd72?

richie60

Established Member
A decent properly set up turntable is going to sound very good. Just make sure you've got a good cartridge and set it up properly if you're replacing it.

You need to learn more about aligning cartridges, setting tracking force, anti-skate etc.

If you go to Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable & register on the site, you can download cartridge alignment protractors & print them off to scale on a piece of card. I think it's under the cartridge section of the website.

Richie

Mr Pig

Prominent Member
All servicing done, will this sound more involving than my arcam cd72?

It might ;0)

Generally speaking, turntables do sound more involving the CD players but it's a generalisation. Some CD players are very foot-tapping although virtually none can match the intricate rhythmic information a top turntable can lay out. Even good budget turntables have a flow to their sound missing from most CD players.

To be honest, I've disliked every piece of Arcam equipment I've ever owned or heard so I wouldn't be surprised if this deck did beat it hollow. I've typically found Arcam stuff to be smooth, laid back, lacking in sparkle, short on dynamics and low on involvement. Not really my cup of tea at all. Maybe your CD player is different?

At a guess I'd say that your old Rotel turntable will be rougher sounding than the Arcam CD player, more distorted and much more fun! Keep us posted :0)

Beobloke

Established Member

merlincoops

Established Member
Ok, up and running, certainly a very different sound, definitely more alive if that makes sense but may need some tweaking to get to the best sound available. Thanks for all your help guys. Need some new headphones now!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom