Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Rotel rmb1095 help needed

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by garylloyd, Feb 7, 2005.

1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Guys,
    I bought a 1095 yesterday.I can wait to get it hooked up but I am still waiting for some leads to arrive.
    Reading the manual it says not to use any type of extension lead,but go straight into the wall.
    Should I run it through my Belkin AV Isolater or not?
    I really can not try a A to B test due to the amount of gear needing moving each time.
    Thanks for any input
    Gary

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

All rotel manuals I've ever seen say the same thing. I guess it covers them if someone uses an extension lead of too low a power rating / shared with too many other high load items. The max power of the 1095 is about 1200watts IIRC and this isn't dissimilar from a kettle or hair dryer. Clearly you wouldn't want to run either of those devices off a light weight extension lead (or you'll potentially have a fire risk). A cynic might suggest its also be an easy cop out on any warrant ... "has this device ever been (slightly longer than lead) further away from a wall socket whilst turned on ... ah well sir in that case you've voided the warranty... "

I guess you should be okay with a decent power rated extension lead capable of taking the current that might be drawn by the power amp. If the cable can carry more load than the actually lead then I see no issue. Others will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong :) .

No doubt someone will complain that an extra "join" in the cable with have a noticable deterimental effect on the sound quality even given the other dozens of joins that will be present in the circuit all the way back to the power station and if you buy BLAH BLAH branded power cord at £150 per shot all problems will be solved :D

Andy

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just go for it and se how it sounds, If you have a hum then it might be worth trying it straight into the wall socket, but if you have no problems, then don't worry about it and just enjoy it :)

Steff

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As everyone else has commented,as long as the rating of the power cord,fuse,and Isolator being used is not exceeded by the power requirements of your amp,you will have no problems.

The reference to branded power cords above is not without relevance,as there are all manner of these,from quite cheap,to stunningly expensive,and as with all things,the law of diminishing returns applies.
    They can be very useful in areas where mains quality is poor,but can also in some instances be detrimental to sound quality....my advice with those is to try before you buy.

5. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    As an ex-owner of a 1095 (great amp btw), I would heartily recommend plugging this baby straight into wall. It can use a lot of current - watch your lights dim momentarily when you power it up.

Also, take care lifting it!

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The lights dim when you power it up due to the torroidal transformer, as these present almost a short circuit on power up (but for a very short time). This is not an issue for an extension lead as the duration in short - no time to heat up or for fuse to blow. A 13A plug fuse will handle a MUCH higher surge.

The amop may well be rated at 1200W, but it is not going to draw that continuously unless you are driving it at full power with a sine wave. On normal music or even film use, the average power consumption will be much less, and it is this that determines the heating effect in the cable.

Transients will cause some current peaks, but with decent sized reservoir caps in the the PSU these should not cause much voltage drop on the supply cable. And don't forget there's quite a bit of 2.5T+E between the socket and the consumer unit already; a little more is not going to make any difference.

7. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Guys,
    Thanks for all the replys,the cables I was waiting on arrived yesterday.
    I have booked Friday off work,to set everything up.
    The 1095 is going to be hooked up to a Denon A10SE driving Kef Thx speakers.
    How much of a improvement can I hope to achive?
    I really hope that I am not expecting to much.
    On the subject of power cords I have had very good results with the Russ Andrews range.I have tried the Yello,Classic and Reference.
    I ended up with the Reference on my Tosh 900E dvd player,I really thought that £100+ on a power cord was crazy.That was untill I tried it.
    The improvement in picture quality was plain to see.
    On my sub I also tried all the above cables.I now use the yello on my Servo,the more expensive cables seemed to offer very little improvement.
    I will spend money if you can see/hear the change,but I am not willing to spend for the sake of it.
    I want to try the Black Rhodium next if I can get my hands on a demo cord.
    Gary

8. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I use ISOL-8 power cables on all my gear. I noticed practically no difference moving from their basic cable to their elite, but then my kit is all running through an ISOL-8 Mini Sub 2.

Definately better than OEM stuff though.

9. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    When I was trying out power cords I was using a old extension.Perhaps the differences would have been smaller if I had used the Belkin instead.
    Anyway the rmb1095 is now up and running.The more I use it the more happy I am with the performance.The hunt for a processor is now on.
    Gary