1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RMB 1090 - Switch on or off?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by RAM69, Jul 20, 2005.

1. RAM69

RAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if leaving my amp switched on 24 hours a day will cause any damage to it.
    When I fire up my amp it can take 1 or 2 minutes to power up. When it does come on it works absolutely fine.
    I would like to leave it on permanently. Any thoughts?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Apart from the resting power consumption,you should have no problems....a lot of us leave amps/processors etc turned on,and there are those who maintain that leaving an item on reduces the chances of failure,which usually occur at power-up.

That aside,it will add a bit to your electricity bill.

My own power amps are left off apart from when I want to use them as they're Class A amps and use a huge amount of power at rest,unlike your Rotel which should be considerably more efficient.

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd leave it on. But if you want to be good for the environment turn it off.

Doesn't it have a 12v trigger on it can you use that to activate it?

4. RAM69

RAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    It does have a 12v trigger. I also have a Rotel RMB 1095 and both are connected to an Arcam AV8. What will the trigger do?

5. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With the 12V Trigger enabled it is basically turned completely off except for a very small circuit which draws a miniscule amount of power but when you turn the AV8 on it will turn the 12v trigger on if configured.

If 7.1 could probably setup the AV8 so it only turns the 1090 on for stereo and the 1090 and 1095 for surround. You can do this with a Rotel RSP 1068 :D

6. RAM69

RAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bootrunk. Iwill give this a go this weekend.