1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RMB-1075 MK2 - Cyrus AV5

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by icequake2000, Apr 2, 2001.

1. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Please could someone tell if the Rotel amps are better then the amps on a Yamaha Ax1 or if there is barely any difference and if the cyrus AV5 is a good proceesor. I was thinking of upgrading to a doly digital EX amp before i saw the AV5 but i have heard that unless you have a big room it is barely worth having EX is this true please help.

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Icequake

I tried the AV5 for about a week and nearly bought it. The Lexicon processors are better (but not by that much IMHO...).

The AV5 was very good for straight stereo. The Dolby Digital decoding was also very detailed and crisp.

I chose not to go with it because it did not have video switching, 5.1 inputs or EX.

If you use RGB SCART for all your video and can live without EX or SACD/DVD-Audio then it's an excellent buy.

The dealer I was talking to said the AV7 is imminent though...

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Rotel 1075 amp and the Rotel 976 processor and they are absolutely terrific for both cd's and dvd's. I have had two Yamaha amps in the past, a DSP A1000 and a DSP A592 and the Rotel amp is in a much higher class. I have Castle Howard S2 main speakers and they sound so much better now. Before you buy the Cyrus why not audition the Rotel 976 processor with the 1075 amp.

4. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. I tried the rotel and av5 system yesterday i was amazed in the difference in sound compared to my yamaha 3090. The only thing what is stopping me buying the av5 so far is dolby ex and dts es is it worth getting unless you have a big room to benefit from it.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I bought my Rotel stuff I believed that I really needed an EX system. I auditioned a Denon AVC-A1SE in 7.1 configuration alongside a TAG Mclaren AV32R and TAG 5 channel amp in 5.1. The Denon was brilliant but I was hard put at times to hear any great difference between the two in terms of sound stage. The TAG was so much better than the Denon that it didn't matter to me that it was only 5.1. I came to the conclusion that a really good quality processor/power amp combination in 5.1 is better than an integrated amp in 7.1. Obviously your choice of rear speakers and their positioning has a great effect.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Dito the above. Quality counts over 'specs' every tme. Tag does the quality brilliantly. It can then be upgrade at no cost penalty to 7.1 (and 5.1 analogue input and AV192 'special'). The Mission was good at £1k but was limited in the future. I don't know the latest Rotel pre so can't comment.The power amps are very good, only bettered in my opinion my the more exensive Tag.

But would you want to add PL11, DTS Neo, DTS discrete, DD Ex, DVD Audio, HDCD ETC (add latest in 1 years time) at some point in the future or are you happy with replacing the AV5 with the AV7 with the AV11 with the AV13?

If you think you may want these in the future look at an upgradeable pre (you can use the same power amps all the time). It is cheaper in the long run and can be done bit by bit, easing the cash flow.

7. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what annoys me is this constant upgrading of sound formats is 7.1 realy future proofed.A dealer the other days was saying that the industry is planning 10.1 next to have complete 360 surround sound, if this happens even the tag would have problems upgrading to that speck on the existing processor. I am realy thinking of saying to hell with the industrys constant upgrading of new sound formats and put up with a decent 5.1 system thanks for your help

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is most likely that 10.2 rather than 10.1 will be the way forward. Sorry! But I stand by what I said earlier it is better to do 5.1 well, rather than 7.1 indifferently. After all you don't have to upgrade.

9. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will go for the cyrus and rotel amp the quality of sound is amazing for the money thanks for your help

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in the Cyrus AV5, so did you eventually buy one or are you still saving up? I think I'll defintely be auditioning one at some point but I'm thinking about upgrading my DVD player first to the Arcam DV88 so if I do that, the processor will have to wait. I'd be interested to know what you think of the AV5 if you have bought one.

Tracey

11. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still not shore what to do. I tried the AV5 a couple weeks ago and it blew my old Yamaha 3090 away when it came to sound quality and effects. The only thing what is putting me of so far from buying the AV5 is i am not shore if i could live without not being able to process dts-es and dd-ex and there is no way of playing dvd-a. I would go for the arcam dv-88 first I have owned one for 2 months and the machine is amazing for picture and sound.