Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Rotel RC-1570 + Crown XLS 1002 or Int. Amp RA1570

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by drieswal, Jan 11, 2018.

1. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    I can get a Rotel RC-1570 preamp for quite a good price and I like the sound of it.
    With this combination I still need to buy a power amp. I have heard very positive things about pro-amps such as Crown.
    I am a bit on a tight budget for this so I wonder whether the RC-1570 + Crown XLS 1002 power-amp will sound just as good as the integrated amp Rotel RA-1570.
    The Crown has 215W and the int. Rotel amp 120W.
    Probably the Pre-amp + pro power amp solution will be the cheapest but will I later regret this because the RA-1570 int. amp maybe sounds better?

My speakers will either be the B&W CM8S2 or XTZ 99.36 FLR (haven't decided yet but I listened to both and I like both).

I currently live in China so I can't try out the combination and return it within 30 days if I don't like it since they don't have that kind of buyer protection rules over here.

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    Hi. I use the Crown XLS1002 in my set-up with no issues. I noticed no tonal differences at all by ear when adding the power amp, compared to just using the Marantz SR7011 AVR and / or Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp on their own. The power amp sounds the same except for giving cleaner and more detailed audio at louder volumes and during the dynamic peaks in soundtracks.

There is also, of course, an added peace of mind that I can listen as loud as I like without risk of stressing the system or sending clipped / distorted audio to the speakers.

I actually ran Audyssey (via the app) with all my speakers connected directly to my Marantz SR7011 and then ran it again once I had added the integrated amp and two power amps. Comparing the curves between the two, they were identical.

So, from my perspective the pro audio power amps offer great value.

3. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again for your post. My question comes from a previous post and is based on your recommendations :) haha. But I would also like to hear some other forum members' opinion about this before I make the decision.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    Crown XLS-1002 Drive Core Class-D Amp - 215w/ch to 8 ohms - £389 -

Crown XLS 1002 Drivecore Power Amp

Crown XLS-1502 DriveCore Class-D Amp - 300w/ch to 8 ohms - £475 -

Crown XLS 1502 Drivecore Power Amp

Review of the XLS-1502 -

Z Review - Crown XLS1502 POWAAAH!!! AMP

For the money, these are very good Amp. Generally you can not find an equivalent amp for similar money.

I think it depends on the price of both components at your location. If the Pre-Amp and Power-Amp are available at a better price, it is certainly worth considering. But consider the Price of the new RA-1570, which is nice. But it is all down to price and requirements.

If money is tight, I want the most I can get for my money. However, if money is reasonably available, then you want the best you can get for your money in an amp that meets your needs.

While I recognize that Class-D Digital Amp are improving by leaps and bounds, I'm still not clear if I like them, partly due to not having much exposure to them. But, they are Amps and they do what Amps do.

Without knowing the prices, it is hard to know for sure which is the best value.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
  6. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I am living in China and there the Crown costs about £225 (after currency conversion) for the XLS1002 so that is a very good price it seems.

I just got an offer for the RA-1570 integrated amp for £750 (demonstration model).
    I think I am gonna go for that as that seems a pretty good deal to me. Especially since the RC-1570 preamp only costs £75 less and for that little difference I think it's a better deal to just go for the int. amp.