Rotel RB-870 repair- darn Ebay

Bossk128

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've recieved a damaged power amplifier from a seller on Ebay. 3 of the 4 binding posts are not attached to the inside of the case, meaning the can be pushed in and wobbled about. They do feel as if they are attached to some kind of cabling inside.

Is it worth me opening the amp up and seeing if this can be repaired? If it is just physical stuff (i.e. the amp does actually work, it's just a screw loose) is it easy to reattach the binding posts?

Thanks for your help,

I'll have a wee look tonight, and take some pics too.

OK, I've opened her up. It looks like there is some kind of internal plate that sandwiches the binding posts to the inner surface of the case. Or rather there should be one. For some reason, it's missing and he's used glue to stick the thin edges of the binding posts to the case.

Or, a previous owner perhaps. I'm going to give it a try plugged in now. Hopefully it won't blow up. Anybody seen anything like this before? Should there be some kind of retantion plate, and if so are there spares available?

Pics below (sorry they are blurry, it's dark and my cam is poor):

100_0664.jpg

100_0659.jpg

100_0661.jpg

100_0666.jpg

I'm noting the empty screw holes in the above photo.

It looks to me like the previous owner modded the amp with replacement binding posts and maybe cabling inside. Rotel amps do tend to have poor binding posts so it would make some sense. I would make sure you use banana plugs so you don't have to the posts up which could be tricky.

It looks to me like the previous owner modded the amp with replacement binding posts and maybe cabling inside. Rotel amps do tend to have poor binding posts so it would make some sense. I would make sure you use banana plugs so you don't have to the posts up which could be tricky.

Thanks for the info. I powerd it up last night, and electronically it seems OK. On power on, the protection circuit (and LED) switches on for a second, then leaving the power LED on alone. Sound is fine, but I didn't try it at volume, or in bridged mode.

I had to be dead careful as my speakers are wired using bare cable, and I was cautious of the posts moving into the case, and allowing bare wire to touch the outside of the case. For this reason I'm going to try to see if I can make some kind of plate to screw across the back of the posts. Or alternatively as you say, use banana plugs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom