JIMDL

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got Rotel integrated Ra-1570. I have the following options for speakers:
Bowers Wilkins CM10 or CM9
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or 2.5

Any suggestion?

Definitely try the Sonus Fabers - the 3.0s with their dedicated mid driver do perform much better. CM10s are highly recommended, and if you do, I doubt CM9s will be an option. KEF's R700 and R900 should be on the list, as well as the ProAc Response D20R.

Grab a demo and see what you think!

i've been considering the rotel amp and possibly the peachtree nova125 (amp and dac in one unit) was wondering would either amps have enough power for the new B&W 683s2

Also, consider the Focal Aria 900 series.

Aria 900 - Focal

The CM series break down like this -

£1800/pr = B&W CM9
£2999/pr = B&W CM10

The Focal Aria 900 are priced like this -

£1798/pr = Focal 926
£2198/pr = Focal 936
£2798/pr = Focal 948

The Sonus Faber, are a little harder to price as they are not that common. But I have heard them a few times and they are pretty impressive.

Depending on your preferred budget, the Focal 936 should be an impressive speaker -

Focal 936, 3x6.5" bass drivers, 1x6.5" Midrange, 39hz at -3dB, 32hz at -6dB

The larger Focal 948, has these specs -

Focal 948, 2x8.25" bass drivers, 1x6.5" Midrange, 37hz at -3dB, 31hz at -6dB

The Focal, much like the B&W CM, focus on clarity over hard driving bass. Based on my audition of the Focal 836, the bass is absolutely tight and clear; perfectly rendered.

If you are more into Rock the House bass, then perhaps some other speakers should be considered.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with MA GX200/300 exquisite detail!

i've been considering the rotel amp and possibly the peachtree nova125 (amp and dac in one unit) was wondering would either amps have enough power for the new B&W 683s2
It depends what they're both like with 4ohm loads. The B&Ws are nominal 8ohms, but dip to 4. Audition - see how they sound together, and if the B&Ws don't sound punchy and tight, they're not good enough.

I've heard both Sonas Faber and B&W CM on Rotel equipment, they sound fine, and the RA-1570, has tons of power and control. Though I admit I heard the Sonas Faber on a 200w/ch Rotel Pre/Power system.

Generally a 4 ohms rated amp, and I don't mean an amp who's power is rated at 4 ohms, but one that is specifically rate to easily tolerate a 4 ohm load. This would include at least Yamaha, Rotel, and NAD; though certainly many others.

I heard the smaller Rotel RA-12 driving some 4 ohm nominal speakers, and it sounded effortless.

So, an amp rated for a nominal 4 ohm speakers has to know that the true instantaneous impedance can vary wildly from well above 4 ohm down to a bit below 4 ohms.

This is really about the ability of the Power Supply to deliver current and the amps ability to dissipate heat. With sufficient cooling and beefy power supplies, there shouldn't be any problem.

Steve/bluewizard

Rotel have always been good with 4ohm loads. In the past, B&W's 600 series always sounded great on Rotel, but sounded a bit soft and flabby in the bass, and lacking punch on many other amplifiers. Under £500, Rotel are the safest bet in this regard.

Rotel have always been good with 4ohm loads. In the past, B&W's 600 series always sounded great on Rotel, but sounded a bit soft and flabby in the bass, and lacking punch on many other amplifiers. Under £500, Rotel are the safest bet in this regard.
Took me a couple of goes with my 603s to find an amp I could afford that could drive them properly - loads of stuff exhibited exactly that flabby softness in the bass you mention. Running them off a Kenwood DA-9010, my current amp, shows them at the best I've heard them :)

Took me a couple of goes with my 603s to find an amp I could afford that could drive them properly - loads of stuff exhibited exactly that flabby softness in the bass you mention. Running them off a Kenwood DA-9010, my current amp, shows them at the best I've heard them :)
That'll do it! I think sometimes people think they need more power for demanding speakers, but it's more down to amplification quality and control, and staying stable under the 4ohm demands of the speaker. There's so many people I've come across in the past who owned 601s or 602s who were using them with sub £200/300 amplifiers, even AV receivers, and were then surprised to hear how their speakers should sound when hearing them on an amplifier that does the job properly. The amp and speaker match is an important one which can make or break a system.

I did wonder if I'd made a mistake initially - my prior Mission 773e were a far easier drive and sounded excellent with just about any power source!

Hello,
I have Rotel integrated Ra-1570 and I am looking for speakers as well: my top choices are
Bowers Wilkins CM9 and Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. have you allready bought any speakers or auditioned one these combinations yet?

Cheers.

Hello,
I have Rotel integrated Ra-1570 and I am looking for speakers as well: my top choices are
Bowers Wilkins CM9 and Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. have you allready bought any speakers or auditioned one these combinations yet?

Cheers.

Yes, i bought B&WCm10, but i have not received them yet! In the meantime the seller lent me Focal Aria 926 (sound pretty good)!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom