Rotel RA-03 vs Nad 352, is there a winner?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wireseeker, Mar 10, 2006.

1. wireseeker

wireseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simply put, if there an outright winner here? Rotel is more expensive, output levels are much the same. Is there something I am missing in the price difference?

Extra info, I am wanting to pair one of these amps with the Kef IQ5, any amp better with these speakers?

2. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In case you're not aware the Rotel 02 series (including the RA-03) is due to be replaced shortly by the 06 series. You may be able to get a good deal on an RA-03 as a result.

I've never listened to any Nad equipment but am a big fan of Rotel gear.

3. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    The combination of Rotel and Kef can be a little on the bright side. Then again, some people like that sort of presentation, so best to audition the combination yourself. Personally i'd prefer the Rotel, and as mentioned there may be deals around at the moment.

4. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    that is true, Rotel can be bright and it is not the last word in subtlety and refinement. but, some people like it that way, so you have to check it out for yourselves. NAD can be muddier on the other side, but is deffinitely warmer.

5. wireseeker

wireseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up going for the Nad C352 with the Kef IQ5. The sound is definately warm and even a little muffled at times. Will this improve as the speakers and AMP settle in after around 100 hours?

Thanks

6. wireseeker

wireseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not happy with the sound of the nad and kef combo, and have taken it back. I have now ordered the rotel, but I have a question on this, what is the difference bewteen the ra03 intergrated amp, and the seperate rc03 and rb03? Price wise they are much the same, but not sure if one is better than the other.

7. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have got a NAD amp and CD and have to say that even though both are well run in now, they do sound a little muddy.

On the other hand though, the amp (C320BEE) has no shortage of power and can really kick out some noise without breaking into a sweat.

I find the sound of LP much clearer and more open which points to the NAD CD player being the less clear component in my case, but offset against what the kit costs, I can't find any real reason to complain.

Have recently added Silver Ann XT speaker cable to my system and it has livened things up quite a bit, although this wouldn't necessarily work for everyone, of course!

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    dunno about the Rotel and Nads, but if you can stretch budget wise i'd heartily recommend either the Arcam A80 (eventually biamped with a P80 for extra control and bass definition) or the Roksan Kandy.....the Kandy is a very good partner to the KEF sound...nice and rocking, able to stay fast paced....

i think both these amps are around the £600-650 mark tho.....but more than worth the money over most £400-500 amps....

9. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    also worth checking out the marantz pm7001. gets best buy in hi fi choice. £350 retail price.