1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RA-03 or Musical Fidelity A3???HELP??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rich666, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Rich666

Rich666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all! I'm a bit new to this HIFI lark and am looking to upgrade my ageing old system! Basically I’m looking for a little advice. My budget is £500 MAX and I know I can get the Rotel RA-03 for that money new. However I could also buy a musical fidelity A3 second hand for possibly less. In people’s opinions which would be the better buy, Baring in mind the Musical Fidelity was £850 new? I listen to a lot of vinyl on a Pro-ject Debut III, mainly Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Rolling Stones and also some heavier stuff. Any help would be much appreciated?

Cheers!

2. akhc

akhc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't heard the Rotel though I am very familiar with the Rotel "house" sound having heard various amps and CD players through the years and in fact setting up a friend's system to use the RC 1070 and RB 1070 pre/power combination back in 2002. The same can be said of MF amps and my current setup includes the NuVista M3 Amplifier as well as a pair of A308s to triamp my speakers.

Anyway, I would describe Rotel amps as more in your face (and this isn't necessarily a bad thing). They have a slightly brighter and gutsier sound compared to the MF amps (more neutral and a warmer sound) which makes them I think more suited to home cinema systems where sound for films is a priority. Even with some music the Rotel would be better (mostly beat driven stuff where the Rotel has a more forward sound). IMO I'd only choose the MF if you listen to a lot of classical/instrumental music which you don't appear to list.

The question really is whether the new Rotel (less power) is better than an MF amp that is now 3-4 years old. I would suggest an audition of the Rotel vs the current MF X-80. The X-80 is very similar to the A3 in sound quality though it is slightly more transparent. At the end of the day, you have to live with the system and it's your ears that are most important.

3. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you I would be very tempted to go ahead with MF A3. Now you can get s/h from Ebay for a real bargain price, something like £300~350. Saving some money on amp then you can spend the balance for good interconnect and power cable.

I haven't heard Rotel yet but when I bought A3 I compared it with Arcam A85 and Roksan kandy MK2, to my ear A3 has more authority and richness than the other two. A85 all round player, Kandy bit dry. They all sound good to a certain extend. End of day I think it is personal psychological satisfaction. Superb build quality of A3 is one of the reason I went for it.

As aksc mentioned if you also listen to classical instrument, vocal or jazz MF amp would a good choice.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    £150-200 on cables, that more than the the 10% that even what hifi suggest :eek:

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Musical Fidelity.