1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel RA-01 / RA-02 or Arcam A65+

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zildjian285, Aug 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, I will be buying some Monitor Audio S6 speakers soon, I need a nice amp to go with it, ive heard good things about Rotel and Arcam amps, my budget is around £250 but I dont mind buying second hand, what amp would you get with the S6's?

Im thinking of getting one of the following:

NEW - Rotel RA-01
    USED - Rotel RA-02
    USED Arcam A65+ (Maybe A75 depending how much they cost second hand)
    Marantz SR5400
    NEW - NAD C320BEE
    USED - NAD C352CT

What do you think? I will be listening to music 90% of the time, and the amp will be used with an Arcam CD82T CD player. :lease:

2. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone? I will be ordering the amp very soon, any input would be appreicted.

3. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think I will go for the Arcam A75 Plus amp, found one second hand for a nice price, should go well with the Arcam CD82T im getting, and my S6's.

4. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all you should hear the speakers with the receiver. it's a must.

Secondly, the Rotel, NAD, Arcam are all integrated amplifiers which means they can amplify only 2 speakers. You need a receiver like the Marantz 5400.

5. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I will only be using 2 speakers which is why I have chosen a integrated amp. I dont really think I can test the A75 Plus with the S6's unless sevenoaks sound a vision will let me try the A75 Plus at home, but this is my very first Hifi setup so I dont really know what to listen for.

6. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't recommend buying an amplifier and speakers without hearing them apart or together. Sound is a very subjective issue and you can't tell from a review whether its the sound. It is better for you to buy a cheaper amplifier that produces the sound you like instead of a better amplifier which produces a sound you don't like.

7. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would really like to demo them in a shop but I have an illness called ME, and im practically house-bound at the moment, hopefully when I collect my S6's next week I will feel ok to test them with a few amps, if not I may have to sent my brother out to have a listen, but thanks alot for your help.

8. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are stores who let you take the speakers home for the weekend or several days. You can ask your brother to do that.

9. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im not actualy picking the speakers up untill next saturday so I will hopefully be well enough to test a few amps in the shop, im sure they wouldnt mind. What amps do you think I should try from this link: http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/products/hifiseparates.html

I am thinking the Arcam A65+, Arcam A85, Marantz PM4400 OSE, Marantz PM7200, Rotel RA-01 and RA-02, any others I should try from that list?

10. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These 6 options will do fine. However its odd that dealer doesn't have any NAD amps.

11. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The dealer recommended the Arcam A65+ because im getting an Arcam CD82T CD player soon, ive found a A75+ second hand for around £225, but ive been offered a NAD C372 for £250 second hand.

So its really between the Arcam A75+ and NAD C372.

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no offence zildjian, but i think you're bonkers to have bought speakers without hearing any, then to spend hours demoing 6 amps.

if you can cancel the speaker order, i really would. choosing hi-fi you've never heard is a recipe for disaster - its not a matter of choosing 'the best', if only it were that simple. speakers sound radically different and are designed for radically different priorities, they should be your first and foremost choice and priority.

i still recommend a Rotel Amp and B&W DM603 combo for your rock and dance needs...

13. alechodgson

alechodgson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I have the monitor audios you have ordered: they are great speakers. They are however rather fussy: DO NOT BUY WITHOUT LISTENING TO THEM FIRST, and I would definitly not order the Rotel: with small speakers, this amp is fine. Give it a large (ish) set in a larger room (the monitor audios are rear ported remember: I have mine at least 0.75m out from the wall so as to avoid bloated bass).

I had the old NAD c370 working with them until recently: it sounded great with dance music, but with, say rock, the bass was too bloated. I'm not sure whether the s6/c370 combo was a well balanced one at all!

14. alechodgson

alechodgson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW: if you find a good hifi dealer they will probably let you take the amp home to demo it. They might be 1) very nice or 2) they will swipe your credit card or 3) will offer to refund the amp within a couple of days if you don't like it. This way of buying hifi has much to recommend to everyone as one's own room dynamics are probably rather different from the room in the store.

15. alechodgson

alechodgson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Screw it: personally I'd go for the "Marantz MA9 Hi-Fi Power Amplifier monobloc - £5,999.95"!

16. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I have the Silver S6's and can tell you that Musical Fidleity is a great match for them. IF you can pick up one of the x-80's (weymouth hifi do thme for £250 new!). Great looks and great sound.

If you don't like the styiling see if you can locate the A3 - I dont think the Arcam stuff will do the Monitor Audios justice (just sold the S6's to go to the GR20's).