1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel pre/power vs Pioneer

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Sab, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a Denon 3802 receiver connected to Mordaunt-Short speakers which I bought from Richer Sounds. I also have a Pioneer 757 Ai DVD player.

Would a Rotel 1066 processor and Rotel 1095 power amp be better than a Pioneer VSX-Ax10i receiver with my system?

How good is the iLink with the Pioneers?

Obviously I would have to buy THX certified speakers in the future or buy a PMCTB2 centre and PMC DB1s to go with my PMC TB2s that I use for stereo.

I have an Arcam CD23T and Arcam A32 amplifier. Should I save my money for an Arcam AV8 and Arcam P35 power amplifier ( I cannot afford th Arcam P7 as well)?

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,740
    Why?

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    in my opinion, the rotel combo would be a more versatile setup and allow easier upgrading - i actually prefer the cyrus av8 processor, maybe with the rotel power amp? have a listen and see what you think, the big integrated amps aren't as good as pre/pwr combos (IMO)

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    THX certified speakers should give me the best sound performance and the speakers that I have at the moment are not the best and quite cheap.

Do I really need THX certified speakers e.g. Mordaunt Short 500 THX? My speakers at the moment are not THX certified.

I would like sound quality that is nearly as good as the sound I get in stereo with my Arcam CD23T, Arcam A32 and PMC TB2.

How good would the amplification be with Arcam P35 power amp and Arcam A32 stereo amp? This could be used with a Rotel 1066 processor.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    (snort) Yeah, right. There are exceptions - if a subwoofer has THX Ultra 2 certification, for example, that actually does mean something - but by and large THX certification is virtually meaningless as far as speakers are concerned.