1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rotel or arcam

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mafridi, Mar 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mafridi

mafridi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

after going through many choices (and finally realising my budget at this stage) I have come down to 2 choices in separates:

the arcam av8 + p7 or the rotel rsp 1098 + rmb 1075. speakes are the kef xq series for now (cannot upgrade but hope to to the kef ref's). dvd player is the arcam dv 78 + sub is the kef psw 3000. 98% use is HT and I want POWER when I watch my movies.

please advise

thanks

muno

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The only way to answer your question is to advise you to get a demo. IMO Arcam & Rotel have a very different sound to each other, so one may suite where the other doesn't. Personally I love the Arcam sound, but don't much like that of Rotel. You may well agree, or not, but at the end of the day the choice is yours and you will only find out by getting a demo of both sets of kit.

One thing to keep in mind is that Arcam are about to release the new DiVa processor and 7 channel amp, so if funds are tight you may well find the new cheaper range will offer you more choices with other equipment such as DVD & speakers.

Mark.

3. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Depending on where you are in the country you could come and have a listen to my 1098 and 1075 setup.

But I am using PMC DB1 speakers.

Fish

4. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Rotel 1075. And my dream is Rotel 1098 which is app. 3000€ here in Istanbul. Unfortunately no Arcam in Turkey.

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The other advatnage of going for the Arcam of course is that you could use the two extra channels to bi-amp the front left and right.

6. mafridi

mafridi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately cannot get a demo of the arcam but am going to demo the rotels tomorrow. any idea what you guys consider to be the best for movies??? I currently own the arcam avr 300 and the p35 power (2 channel). have read alot of good stuff about both. a friend of mine recenlty demo'd them in dubai and he thought the rotel was far superior. will know more tomorrow.

7. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    you want power! why not just get a rb1095 or P7 and use your existing avr300 as a pre

jon

8. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Absolutely, the processor won't match the AV8 for quality, but it has PLII which I don't think is actually going to make it's way onto the AV8. Run this until the new decoders supporting the new HD DD and DTS come out, then just upgrade the Processor :thumbsup:

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Not trying to be pedantic, but it is DPLIIx that the AV8 is missing, not PLII. I only mention it to avoid confusion for others.

Mark.

10. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to see if a system has punch then try the diva part of fifth element. When it switches between the stage to the fight seens, you get an idea if it can handle stuff well or not.

Fish

11. mafridi

mafridi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have another option I want to run by u guys:

lexicon mc-4 & cx-5 with b&w 804s, 805s and the htm3. sub is also b&w but I am waiting for th quote from the dealer to know which sub from b&w. any thoughts

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Did you get the demo of the Rotel today?

I can obviously recommend the Lex as I have its slightly bigger brother, the MC8b. The steering of the surround channels is excellent and Logic7 is stunning!
    I have active speakers so have no idea how good their amps are though. I doubt anybody will say much against the B&W's and when I briefly heard them at a demo I thought they were great, but I already had my Blue Skys.
    May I also suggest you have a look at the Velodyne Digital Drive subs as the EQ makes integration as easy as it is going to get and room correction as easy as following the OSD.

Happy hunting,
    Mark.

13. mafridi

mafridi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no mark e19 did not get the demo unfortunately. however the lexicon dealer is giving me a very good deal on this system. is there a huge difference between the mc-4 and mc-8? is it just the 2 zone diff? I dont think there's a velodyne dealer in Pakistan thaks for your input

muno

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    AFAIK the MC-4 & MC-8 both have exactly the same processing, but as you say I think the difference is the zone 2. The MC-8 is also available with balanced 7.1 outputs as an option.

Mark.