Rotel Michi X5

Neo4

Standard Member
Hi Everyone - A quick question on this amp...does anyone have this amp on this forum? Im sure someone somewhere has this?? Reason for the question, Im seriously considering this amp as a replacement to the one I have right now.
A while back I replaced my 20 yr old system with a pair of (new) B&W 702 S2 and a second hand Accuphase 308 (2008 amp). Although the Accuphase is a brilliant amp, I feel that its not really bringing out the best in the 702's. Hence considering a replacement for it. The Rotel X5 sounds very a competent amp and a good match for the 702's. Just wondering what you guys think. Would be great to get some feedback from anyone who runs this config.
My worry with amps with DAC's inbuilt is that they are not as musical (cant describe it any other way) as a purely analog amp. For instance a Hagel 309 (which had everything I was looking for) didn't sound as good as a Rega Aethos to me. I know its all subjective to your ears. But there you are. Looking for some feedback so I can get it on the shortlist.

Thanks all.

Cribbster

I don't have that amp I'm afraid, but in my experience, Rotel generally work quite well with B&W (and a range of other speakers as well). Whether it gives the spark you need or not will be a personal thing

hifinutt

neo there is huge choice in integrated amps . certainly the michi X5 is one . from the reviews i have read they seem to rave about the x3 more !!! do you need the power of the x5 ??

there are many many amps that will suit the b&w like arcam and norma . this valve like integrated deserves to be heard . i have one on demo now .

it has a lovely smooth sound with tremendous bite

P1070865 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

hegel 390 is well worth a listen . they get tremendous reviews . few weeks ago i had a moonriver here which is same price as x5

P1070828 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

in the meantime check out the X3 . dont assume the x5 is better . it may suit the B&w just as well

hifinutt

its worth noting if you have a bad back the x3 is 30kg !!! the norma is half that and probably just as good [ but thats an opinion]. interesting this review say the michi will be too bright for B&W !!!!

Neo4

Standard Member
Thanks hifinutt. Will check your suggestions out. I’m kind of partial to the tone controls, hence trying to seek out one’s with these. I know the purist hate these, but I like them, gives me a bit more to play with especially when the recording isn’t the best of quality.

sm007

Standard Member
Hi Everyone - A quick question on this amp...does anyone have this amp on this forum? Im sure someone somewhere has this?? Reason for the question, Im seriously considering this amp as a replacement to the one I have right now.
A while back I replaced my 20 yr old system with a pair of (new) B&W 702 S2 and a second hand Accuphase 308 (2008 amp). Although the Accuphase is a brilliant amp, I feel that its not really bringing out the best in the 702's. Hence considering a replacement for it. The Rotel X5 sounds very a competent amp and a good match for the 702's. Just wondering what you guys think. Would be great to get some feedback from anyone who runs this config.
My worry with amps with DAC's inbuilt is that they are not as musical (cant describe it any other way) as a purely analog amp. For instance a Hagel 309 (which had everything I was looking for) didn't sound as good as a Rega Aethos to me. I know its all subjective to your ears. But there you are. Looking for some feedback so I can get it on the shortlist.

Thanks all.

sm007

Standard Member
hi Neo4,

I recently listened to the Michi X5 and thought it was a great amp. I played a list of tracks that I have known for years. I’m not an expert but I did feel as if though my hearing got better - I simply haven’t heard this level of clarity before. The sound was cohesive and it was this cohesiveness that I liked most. I’ve heard the Mich x3 and though it is a wonderful product, I think you can feel the extra depth and warmth in the x5.

It is also obvious that Rotel have put everything they know and probably have benchmarked against the very best. It weighs 44kg, this is a premium product. They’re trendier brands out there but this one is special.

Ascotbilly

44kg - that’s a monster !!!

Neo4

Standard Member
hi Neo4,

I recently listened to the Michi X5 and thought it was a great amp. I played a list of tracks that I have known for years. I’m not an expert but I did feel as if though my hearing got better - I simply haven’t heard this level of clarity before. The sound was cohesive and it was this cohesiveness that I liked most. I’ve heard the Mich x3 and though it is a wonderful product, I think you can feel the extra depth and warmth in the x5.

It is also obvious that Rotel have put everything they know and probably have benchmarked against the very best. It weighs 44kg, this is a premium product. They’re trendier brands out there but this one is special.
Thanks SM007. What speakers were your demo on?
I too had a demo on an X5 recently, i agree with you in that it’s very accomplished. Very nice amp. I thought it was too close to the Accuphase that I have right now. So didn’t make much sense in swapping. I did listen to a Mcintosh 252 and 5300 on the same demo. The 252 was warmer sounding, 5300 was pretty good too. So now I’m torn….
i Want to listen to the 9000 as well before I make the final decision. That has everything I want and more 😁 it’s the cost I need to justify. Man maths needed here lol.

fordster

I have a Michi X3 with B&W 805D4s, fantastic combination. I’ve not heard an X5 for comparison though. And I don’t use the internal DAC as have a Naim ND5 XS2 streamer which, to me, sounds better than the Michi’s DAC.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom