Rotel discount

Nope.

Actually I guess I do!

I buy stuff! :)

Anyway if I was anti-Rotel or pro-Rotel I would either say Rotel processors and poweramps are rubbish, or Rotel processors and poweramps are great (and not Rotels processors are average, Rotel poweramps are great):D

I feel someone else should interject something into this thread, so I will.

If I ask a question- are you affiliated with Rotel or B&W in anyway? With close to 30,000 members on these forums a few good comments from alot of B&W owners defending their gear would sell more.

I don't own B&W speakers but my brother does, and I can say that I feel for £300 there isn't a better speaker you can buy. I have listened to many in the price range. I also demoed some 603 s3's when I bought my Monitor Audio S6's, i thought they were both better than the Kef Q5's.

I would always buy products which are current rather than outdated as I have had problems with obselete products in the past.

Chino

Nathan.
i would perhaps take issue with the MC1 outperforming the (newer) Tags.
Anyone with experience of some of the higher end processors would (in general) say the MC1 was NOT worthy of the 5500 price tag.
When i bought my original av32r, it was from a friend who had just purchased the Tag having owned the MC1 for quite some time, when we demo'ed the two at his house (side by side) so to speak we both agreed that we prefered the MC1 to the "vanilla" (as it was then before i added 24/192khz dac's, 7.1 board, PL2, DTS-ES discrete etc) av32r, but and i hasten to add BUT, that the preference was based on really quite "small" differences. This rather enforced MY opinion (and reinforced my second hand info) that the 250% increase in cost betwwen the two units was in NO way relative to their respective performances.
Hence i had the choice to buy either his new av32r or the older MC1 as he was not at all "bothered" as to which he kept (ah - to be well at heel eh?).
Needless to say i took the TAG.
I have been informed (Stuart. M. Robinson) that Lex do indeed refine their Logic 7 and i would indeed agree it is the match of PL2 IMO, although whether they have finished with these "up-grades" for the MC1 i am not at this time aware.
i would say that the new dual sharc equipped Tag's are very much the match of the MC1. The additions of TMREQ move the potential MUCH further along IMHO."
As to whether DTS-ES discrete, PL2, THX2, refined bass management and boundary control are "gimmicky" are at the least a matter of opinion.
The quality of processing for these extended surround modes etc in no way detracts from vanilla 5.1 processing.
I sincerely hope that this is NOT interpretted as a "mines bigger than yours" type of thing, but can i say that with all due respect you seem to have the slightest "Rotel-o-phobic" slant, and i would take issue with your generalisation of MC1 is better than "XXX".

P.S do you actually use the bass limiter function ? whilst this has a place in life, is it not directed to the "Yamaha" end of the subwoofer market.
I have often wondered as to who would have a several thousand pound whatever and connect a PDR10 or the like requiring such a filter to it.

Regards/Respectfully.

Steve.

P.P.S My Tag was returned 3 days later and has been "uber" enjoyable.

No I'm not using a Yamaha, I will have a SVS sometime- and I'll still use the THX sub peak limiter. My decent subwoofer still has problems with screwed up DVD's, so the peak limiter is VERY useful (which the Rotel lacks)

In fact the Sub Peak limiter is more important with budget subs- you're more likely to push to sub past it's capability.

Read my other posts. I do not slate Rotel Poweramps- just the processors.

I would say the £5500 was a bit much. Agree with you on that.

Nathan.

I have lived with the sub peak limiter function for a couple of years now and have never used it.
From the outside casual observer (to me at least) it does seem that whenever a thread containing yourself, Sounddog and Rotel appears there is usually a "tete a' tete" at some point.

Regards

Steve.

I must appologise as this "discussion" has got a little heated and away from the point.

Back to the original question ... yes some shops will give discount and I have PMd buns with details of where I purchased mine as they will give 10% discount accross the board off RRP.

Vikki

Originally posted by sounddog
I have PMd buns with details of where I purchased mine/B]

Will you be sending a PM to rags as well as buns? :devil:

Sound dog already has and his advice as well a Nathans is appreciated (although the discussion did go on about some high end stuff which is not really what i am after or can afford)

I didnt mean to stir a hornets nest with my original question but I have managed to get the following sorted out from the posts above -

1. the Rotel 1075 is a fine power amp for the price and sub 1000 you cannot get much better.

2. the Rotel 1066 is also good for the price as a new buy but you can get better if you spend a lot more or a willing to go down the second hand route.

3. The Lex MC1 is a good buy at £1500 and I am going to demo one at a friend of a friends house on Friday.

I will demo everthing before I buy obviously coz things may sound very different to my ears.

One last question - is all this OTT in a room around 17ft by 15ft in size (have not measured it but its about right) ?

Okay ... yes I PM'd rags not buns.

I think you summed it up very well with your 1,2,3 points.

As for the room size ... you sound to have a similar sized room to us ... we use 602s2 fronts, LCR60 centre and (depending on our mood) 3 601s2 (or 2 601s2 + 2 Wharfedale DIamond 7.1) for the rears, being driven by a 985 + 2x 970 (soon to be a RB985 + RMB1075). We also have a REL Q100E sub.

We keep wondering about getting some uprated left and right speakers. Have never found this overpowering and listen at relatively low levels most of the time.

Vikki

From the outside casual observer (to me at least) it does seem that whenever a thread containing yourself, Sounddog and Rotel appears there is usually a "tete a' tete" at some point
So you noticed as well :D

Maybe there should be an injuction between them

Thankfully I have no problems with neighbours etc and therefore can really up the volume if the mood / films demands.

When I change the speakers though I will def go for floorstanders as in my limited exp they fill the room better (plus are a bit more kid proof than speakers on stands).

I have some Mirage omnipolar rears which I will keep as they really are very good.

Unless the mc1 sounds too good to be true, I am leaning towards the following -

1. Rotel 1075 / 1066 combo
2. B&W 603s3's and matching centre channel
3. B&W sub (i thinks its 500 rms)

Someone told me about a special deal on some new KEF model one two's which I may also try.

Pete.
Indeed so.
I d so enjoy "the banter"
It is particularly commendable that their is a female hear who has the enthusiasm/dedication to what is essentially a male dominated arena (this is NOT to be misconstrued!).
I should wonder if her husband/whatever shares the "passion".
My wife thinks i am an UTTER anorak and is a "non-believer".(opposites attract?? i guess - 12 years would certainly seem to point to that)
She considers music is to be danced to with at least 74 Bacardi Breezers.
I prefer to sit alone (or with likeminded associates who don't want to read "hello" or eat Pringles!) in a room with subdued lighting and LISTEN (at quite loud volumes) to music.

Steve.

Rags.
It would most certainly be fair to say that ALL these things considered (and aside) the lexicon MC! will give you a considerably improved performance over the 1066 (if you can live with limitations of functionality).

Steve.

I didnt know that Sounddog was a woman. Must be blind as I didnt spot the name Vikki.

Steve - couldnt agree more with your comments.

I didnt know that Sounddog was a woman
In fact 2, Vikki and Steff

Crumbs I hope I am right in assuming Steff is short for Stephanie :eek:

Actually ... we're a weird triumvirate ... Me (Vikki), Steff (yes Stephanie) and Chris ... please don't ask for details though ... its just all too complicated.

a bit of 8 ... is that like pieces of eight??

Vikki - its usually me if there's no name on the bottom of a post!

It's a good sized whacking stick! 2 inches in diameter & width, 4 foot long.

Very coincidental number of posts for sounddog considering the thread !

If you want to know nothing about the 1066 then WhatHifi have done a review of about 6 processor poweramp combos this month which the 1066 won.

Oyy Vikki,

Since when have you been using words like "triumvirate", and is it really appropriate?

From what I've read it is err ummm well not appropriate. oh well!!

Steff

aka Steph aka Stephanie aka ME !! :hiya:

Originally posted by sounddog
Oyy Vikki,

Since when have you been using words like "triumvirate", and is it really appropriate?

After being intreged by your fancy words Vikki, I hadd to look "triumvirate" up and 2 of the meanings are -
- Joint rule by 3 men !
- Any group of 3 men associated in some way !

so I'm gueesing neither of these are appropriate, thanks for the word though I'm intending to use it a least twice in a meeting today (don't know how yet though)

slingshot,

you seem to have found the same details out as I have and I think Vikki be in trouble!!

:devil: *bouncy* :devil:

Steff

Oops sorry Vikki !

Looks like your Rotel rations are going to be revoked !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom