1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel Bridged or Bryston 3 Ch

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by JES, Feb 24, 2005.

1. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I need a little help. I'm going to buy a power amp to drive my 2 surround channels (PMC DB1) as well as the center channel (probably ProAc Response CC1, didn't find a center speaker from PMC which I'd like to keep everything from the same brand). After much digging around the net and some thinking, I came to the following crossroad:

1- Buy a Rotel RMB 1066 and bridge it's 6 channels getting ~150W/3Ch @ 8 Ohm (as advertised by Rotel) - Cheaper solution ~900 Euros

2- Buy a Bryston 6B SST - 3x300W to drive my front and center speaker, leaving the 3B to drive the surrounds. This is a bit expensive @ ~4000 Euros (would have to resort to the used market again) as well as, I think, a bit over what I would need, since 300 W are double of what my FB1s need.

3- Buy 3 Powerpacs 120 to drive the 3 channels. Around 1500 Euros investement.

So what I'd like help with is, how do you think I should go about it? And also, do you have any more suggestions regarding 3 channel amplifiers?

Thanks in advance,

2. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the powerpacs in the past with great success. I dont think the rotel would be in the same league quality or reliability wise.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    On what grounds do you base the "reliability" comment on? I'm not aware of any issues with Rotel kit in general?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd go for the Brystons...preferably in the 6B-SST form.....just my opinion,but I think it will not only match your current gear perfectly,but also give you a good deal more headroom,as well as superb sound quality,and again my opinion,but better than the Rotel.

5. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JES,

I have only very positive experiences with Bryston. I have a PMC/Bryston setup (4BSST, OB1) and it is absolutely fantastic. I have swapped pieces in and out of my system but the power amp and speakers have stood the test and are here to stay. They work wonderfully well in tandem.

I believe PMC use Bryston whilst developing their speakers (i could be mistaken about this) and I can very well believe this given the quality of reproduction.

If I could round up some cash from somewhere I'd love to try a couple of 7 mono's with my speakers to see how they compared against the 4's but that dreamland at the moment.

Also don't forget Bryston's 20yr warranties (serviced in UK by PMC). A hi-fi lifetime guarantee. Great kit.

Regards,
    Stephen.

6. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rotel stuff does not come with a 20 year warranty, does it??

7. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Maybe Rotel stuff doesnt need one!

8. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen a Rotel power amp that has lived in a nightclub for over 10 years with beer fags and other stuff chucked all over it that drove a difficult low impedance pair of speakers like a trojan and still had 10 years left on its warranty. In fact I dont think I've seen a 10 year old rotel working at all. C'mon lads be reasonable, you dont put a Mondeo up against a Porsche, do you?

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would skip the Rotel too, also, I tested the CC1 and found it too thin, the CC2 is a different league...

Try Vienna acoustics center as well...

10. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips guys. So the Bryston 6B it is :suicide: I'll have to wait a little for it then, since it's pretty hard to find used 6Bs, and the new ones cost a fortune :eek:

Antonio,
    Thanks for the Vienna Acoustics suggestion. :smashin: I'll give it a try on par with the CC2 and decide which one is best.

Regarding Rotel vs Bryston, IMHO there is no dispute in terms of quality of engineering. Bryston wins all out! I've been working my 3B for some time now, at about -20 db for hours, and the thing doesn't even get hot. Mind you that the FB1s are probably not the hardest speakers to drive, but it's an impressive machine. The Rotel was only accounted as an option due to it's low price. Since I only want to drive the surround speakers and center, I thought I wouldn't have to fork that much money.

Thanks again for all the help.

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I sujested the Viennas instead of the CC1, I think the CC2 will be better... :rolleyes:

12. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would have gone for the powerpac's over the 6B, but I can see why you went the way you have.

Fish

13. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll also have to beat me to it. :devil:

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I'd agree entirely to go with the bryston over the Rotels, but your "reliability" comment is still a gross generalisation. Nothing wrong with Rotel reliability imho.

15. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont disagree about Rotels (Or any other far east based manufacturers) short term (Up to 2-3 years or so) reliablity, just the longevity of Rotel equipment when compared to a higher end brand like Bryston, what percentage of Rotel stuff is still working or in use 5 years after being purchased? Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for, one way or another.
    Hmm, thats my lot on this subject. Im bored now, think I'll go play with some traffic ;)

16. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D That's the problem. There are probably hundreds more like us waiting for an oportunity :rolleyes: It'll be a race to the finish ;)

And I'll take your suggestion also Fish. 3 Powerpacs will surelly be less expensive than a 6B. :smashin:

17. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or a 9B SST with just 3 channels, or with 5 channels and you sell your 3B... :cool:

By the way, shouldnt your signature read Pro - for the TAG and Amp - or Pow - for the Bryston... :confused:

18. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of fact, when I started looking for power amps I had those choices, a 9B and 3B. I went for the 3B due to lack of funds :oops: I'll have a look at the 9B, if it's still available. Thanks again Antonio! :smashin:

:oops: :suicide: :rolleyes: You're absolutely right! All changed now :smashin:

19. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I JES, why you are only thinking in Bryston or Rotel? You have so many other options with 3chs/5chs.
    But, like Antonio said, you have the 9b that is a very good option for a 5chs situation.

20. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kraal,

Mainly because I don't know more 3chs Amps :rolleyes: From a search on the Net I only got Bryston's 6B amp, nothing else. If you've got any suggestions, shoot :)

Yes, for now the decision is really between trading the 3B for the 9B or buying the 6B.

Thanks,

21. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have always a Bel Canto eVo 6 bridged, thats 3 x 360 watts... :cool:

22. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I retailed Rotel pre and power amps for over eight years and found them to be supremely reliable. The failure rate was as close to zero as makes no odds and considerably better than virtually all other brands. We did all in-house servicing for the area (Birmingham), and we hardly ever saw Rotel amps coming back - be they 1 yo, 3 yo, 5 yo, or 10 yo.

Your comments are completely wrong; they're merely an assertion with not a single shred of evidence to back it up. Unless you wish to prove otherwise.

And your nasty little generalisation about far-east manufacturers is unfounded and wrong too. That was not my experience selling the stuff - British, Asian/Japanese, America etc, etc. If one really wanted to generalise about reliability from the continents, then it was the American stuff that was by far and away the most unreliable in my experience. The far-eastern stuff was the best.

Bryston reliability is excellent, but the mis-information you are spouting is not a measure of Rotel, but instead a measure of your inexperience and ignorance. Hence the meaningless prejudiced remark you threw in about the far-east; dismissing all their work and products as poor quality. For wherever there's prejudice, then you will find ignorance sustaining it.

Within the industry - retailers and manufacturers - you will not hear a single word of criticism for Rotel's reliability. And that's a fact.

23. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
  24. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably too much for my wallet :rolleyes: Do you have any idea how much they retail here in PT?

As a matter of fact I forgot this. When searching for reviews of the Powerpacs I got found just that, that PMC is now partnering the DB1 with Flying Moles, so I will have a look at them. Thing is, I don't know if they are sold here in Portugal, and I'm a little "queasy" of buying something without trying it (even if it's recommended by PMC for the speakers I'm buying).

Thanks,

25. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bel Canto is not sold in Portugal, I ordered mine from the factory...

26. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, done with playing with the traffic.
    You (And the rest of the industry) carry on sitting in front of your Rotels I'll hang on to my Bryston/Boulder combo, I'm sure we will both be very happy.

27. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had a Rotel RB981 for four years (bought in 97) sold it to a mate who did DJ work and he used it on his rig flat out most the time, hes got it at home now on stereo duties and it runs just fine :) Rotel stuff is really solid for the money and in all honesty how many audio nutters are gonna keep an amp for twenty years :confused: Most guys dont make it past the two year warranty :rotfl:

28. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Many.

For low end kit you're probably right. However for high end kit that just does not apply.

I'm still running a 15 year old Pioneer power amp (not even high end, but not bad) that is now assigned to rear channel duties and I expect I'll still be running my 1 yr old Bryston in 15 years too (unless I sell it get a bigger one, but that wil only happen when if get bigger speakers).

John

29. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey theres some rubbish in this thread :D

I've used old crap cheap second hand amps for years with no reliability problems - that includes technics, goodmans :eek: , yamaha, sony, cyrus ( 1, 1, and 2 +psx :) ) Nad ...

My system at the mo has 2 x second hand cyrus 1 amps, 2 x secondhand audiolab 8000a's , second hand lexicon dc-2 pro, 2 x secondhand JBL 6260 pro amps (were in a Leicester square cinema for years before I bought them) ooh and a second hand rotel RB 985 mkII I bought on this forum...

Any failures over the last 13 years of buying second hand stuff (out of warrenty 'crap' ) ? - I had to send my old cyrus 2 back for repair once (cost about £40 )

Not rubbishing Bryston btw, just the bit about other stuff being unreliable..

Cheers,

Rob

30. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it seems I do have to look somewhere else, because the Bryston 6B is a big, big 7500 € (+5000£) :oops: :suicide: If I don't find anything better than the Rotel I'll have to buy it, or probably find some 2 ch amp to power only the rears and buy a Powerpac to power just the center channel.

It seems, at this moment, quite a waste of money to spend 7500 € to power the FB1 (which IME don't require that much juice to play outstandingly), and a 3B to power the DB1s.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.