1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel and Dynaudio 52

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Mar 30, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After much hard listerning to all kind of amps ive decided im going to jump on the rotel bandwagon.
    I am nearly 100% decided on getting the rotel power amp RB-03 and the Rotel Pre Amp RC-03. After alot of listerning i think its sounds better then the more expensive intergrated models.
    Ive also nearly 100% decided on getting the Dynaudio Audience 52 speakers which sounds superb.
    Ive listerned to both bits of equipment and am extreamly pleased with the performance and its in my budget of £1000 which is nice.
    The problem is due to certain circumstances i havent managed to listern to them together.
    I dont think thats a real problem because im sure its going to sound together as good as im able to imagine.
    The thing that im concerned about is (because this is one of the areas of hifi i dont understand) if the amp is enough to drive the speakers properly and do them justice.
    The reason im asking is because the speakers are rated at:

sensitivity 86
    ohms 4
    Frequency range 52hz-24hz
    Power 150w

and the power amp at:

Model RB-03
    Continuous Power Output
    Power Configurations
    Watts/Channel
    all channels driven,
    unbridged, 8 ohm load,
    20 to 20k Hz, 0.06% THD
    70w x 2
    Total Harmonic Distortion
    (20 Hz - 20 kHz)

cont. rated power
    one-half rated power
    one watt per channel 0.03%, maximum
    0.03%, maximum
    0.03%, maximum
    Intermodulation Distortion
    (at rated power, 60Hz:7kHz = 4:1 ) 0.03%, maximum
    Damping Factor (8 ohms)
    Input Impedance/Sensitivity 500
    Input Overload Level
    Frequency Response 1.0V / 33 kOhms
    Signal to Noise Ratio (IHF A)
    116 dB
    Power Consumption: 250 watts
    Power Requirements: 115 volts, 60 Hz (U.S. version)
    230 Volts, 50 Hz (European version)
    Dimensions (W x H x D):

430 x 92 x 350 mm
    17 x 3 5/8 x 13 13/16"

Weight (net): 8.1kg / 17.86 lbs.

Like i said before im already impressed with the sounds both produce, but as ive been unable to listern to them together im just after a clarification that the amp is enough and i dont have to start looking at a RB 1070 or better.
    Thanks for any help or advice you can provide

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Blackmagic
    With those kind of speaker specs (regardless of manufacturer/model) that is going to be stiff job for the Rotel to drive them nicely to "party" levels.
    Rotel poweramps have always been able to deliver a "reasonable" lump of current (peak to peak) but even so it is going to be working quite hard consistantly.
    Are you able to obtain impedance curve information for your speaker ? just how far do they drop?
    I would suggest caution.
    Can you not buy the speakers (as you seem adamant these are the ones for you) and borrow the Rotel and A.N.Other like a Musical fidelity 3.2 which you would have confidence in it's being able to drive your speakers, play some loud stuff using both amps and see if/how/when the Rotel starts to let go?

Steve.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Just a thought ... but have you considered trying to bi-amp the Dynaudio 52s with 2 RB-03s, or look out for a s/h 981 or even 991 which will sound similar to the RB03 (though not silver) and will preform much better.

Just food for thought ... not a concrete recomendation ...

Vikki

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunatley this is where my hifi knowledge falls flat on its face. All i know is what sounds good and bad:). In trying not to sound to stupid what is biamping and how is it achieved? is it anything like biwiring?

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dynaudios use single terminals so canot be bi-wired or bi-amped. the speakers although rated at 4ohm are not hard to drive.

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All i could find was this:
    Sensitivity (2.83 V/1 m):
    86 dB
    Recommended Amp. Power:
    Small size rooms: >25 watts
    Medium size rooms: >65 watts
    Large size rooms: -- watts
    IEC Long Term Power Handling:
    150 watts
    Impedance, Nominal:
    4 ohms
    Impedance, (20-200 Hz):
    3.7 - 11 ohms
    Impedance, (200-20 kHz):
    3.7 - 9.6 ohms
    Impedance, Phase Shift (20-200 Hz):
    -32° - +31°
    Impedance, Phase Shift (200-20 kHz):
    -11° - +29°
    Impedance, HF (200 kHz):
    5.8 ohms
    Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB):
    52 Hz - 24 kHz
    Resonance Frequency:
    47 Hz
    Internal Cabinet Volume:
    10 litres
    Bass Principle:
    Bass reflex
    Weight:
    15.2 lbs (6.9 kg)
    Dimensions (W x H x L):
    8.1" x 13" x 10.1" (204 x 330 x 256 mm)
    Crossover:
    2 way, impedance corrected
    Crossover Frequencies: 2700 Hz
    Crossover Slope:
    Woofer 6 dB/oct; Tweeter 12 dB/oct
    Connection:
    Gold binding posts
    Recommended Placing:
    Stand
    Remarks:
    Tweeter:
    28 mm soft dome.
    Magnetic fluid.
    Pure aluminium wire voice coil.
    Rear chamber.
    Woofer:
    17 cm polypropylene cone.
    75 mm pure aluminium wire voice coil.

Cabinet:
    Front baffle 19 mm MDF.
    Port plugs included.
    Bitumen damped enclosure.

its might as well be in japanese for me though:(. If it seems like the rotel is gonna be a problem then i would rather change my choice of speaker rather then the amp i think. The rotel sounds awsome and for what i can afford is definatley the best sounding amp for me. Ill look again at my second choice for speakers (Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30).
    The damn problem with all this is i have a choice of two hifi stores on has the speakers the other the amps arrgghhh. Oh well you cant have it all:smoke:

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Blackmagic

Thats is very good that you should have that sort of information to hand re: your speakers.
    It would seem that (if the info is accurate) the speakers whilst having a nominal impedance of 4 ohms have a recorded low of 3.7 which really is nothing to get to upset about.
    This "may" be the manufacturer erring on the cautious side instead of quoting a higher nominal impedance of say 6 ohms.
    Either way the Rotel shouldn't come up short on current delivery but the 86db/w/m is a shade low.
    What size room are you looking to fill? and just how loud do you listen at?
    Is your musical tastes varied or are you a "dyed in the wool" dub reggae fan etc.
    Bare in mind that ANY amp will give you "sound"
    What you are looking for is something that will grip and control your speakers, look for taut bass response (speaker positioning providing)
    I would still take another amp just for reference purposes, it will be difficult to ignore tonal differences but try to concentrate on how the Rotel sounds at a medium volume and how it sounds louder, are you losing definition?, is the sound closing in?
    When using a "mighty amp" there should be very little change in "grip" between ordinary and higher volumes.

Steve.

8. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The room size i guess is medium about 5m by 8m (m = metres). The music volume is dependant on what im listerning to but sometimes i do like to be able to crank it up a bit:) so that luxury is a must.
    As for my musical taste i dont think i could get it more varied. I listern to a range from classical like beethoven to ambient like enigma to rock like aerosmith to 60's 70's 80' and 90' pop like david bowie, blondie ah-ha, the mokeys and more recent. Indie style like pulp and the verve. To old and modern house & garage, drum and base, hip hop, rap and trance. Literally i listern to every type of music there is (yes i've even played rod stewart on the odd occasion). You could call me a music fanatic:)
    So i guess i need Harmony, clarity, punch, drive, clout and an all over sonique balance.
    What amp would you have in mind as a recomendation for an alternative for my needs? a roksan kandy?. This is one of the great and bad things about hifi you have so much choice, but its easy to get lost if you dont know where to look.