1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel Amp problem?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ben Moss, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Ben Moss

Ben Moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old Rotel amp - RA 820 BX which is attempting to drive the compact AVI NU Neutron speakers, source being a Rotel RCD 971 CD player.

The sound is flat, lacking all depth and resonance - this is obviously a budget system, but sounds awful, although acoustic guitar is better reproduced. Is the problem in the old amplifier, as I've heard these speakers take some driving to get the best out of them. Anyone have any ideas? What should be replaced here first?
    Cheers,
    Ben.

2. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think alot of people consider the 971 the best of Rotel's CD players, at least until their 1072, so if I have the model right and its not faulty this should not be the problem. Likewise I have read good things about the AVI speakers (again if I have the model correct). I don't know much about the amp though, perhaps its faulty. I would try borrowing another integrated and see if that makes any difference - maybe get a demo with a dealer to try several, an understanding one should be happy for you to take your CD player and speakers along.

Hope that helps some
    Simon

3. Koopman

Koopman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect another cd player or a cassette to your amplifier, even a portable ones(with a jack-rca cable), and you will not see any problem then. Your cd player is broken, almost sure.

I can buy it for 70 pounds if you are from London. I will use the parts inside.

For the new one, I recommend rotel, nad or sony.

If this is not the problem, the only thing that you can do is to test the components separately with another ones.

franjavierk@yahoo.com

4. Ben Moss

Ben Moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input so far. I live in the South of France so no selling from London, I'm afraid!
    To be more specific, the components all work, but having heard a cheaper system recently with a much better sound, I'm asking if anyone knows whether the speakers would be driven better by a different amp. Apparently these AVI's take some pushing to get the best bass, and although I was told my old amp would be ok, I've been disappointed in the long run.

Does anyone else use the AVI NuNeutrons, and with what amplification?

Cheers again for any input,
    Ben