Rotel A14 MKII - Temperature

wakaz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just upgraded my stereo integrated amplifier to a Rotel A14 MKII. I had been using a Rotel A10 previously.
Paired with Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers.

I am very happy with it, it sounds great via usb and my turntable.

It runs quite hot compared to my A10 which was very cool. It is not obstructed in any way and has plenty of breathing space. Holding my hand on the top of the unit it is very hot. Not so hot you can't keep your hand there but hot enough to be slightly uncomfortable. It does not shutdown during prolonged use. It is hot even if it is powered on and not receiveing a signal. Room temperature is around 20c.

The heat is mainly coming from the area near the two large blue/black round items in this picture.
I'm not across electronics, would those two items be expected to put out a lot of heat? Probably a silly question but I'm curious as the A10 was so cool and this A14 is so hot.

First post here too so hope the links I've provided don't break any rules.

Cheers

The heat will be coming from the large black heatsink in the middle.
As it's name implies the semiconductors bolted to it that drive your speakers produce a lot of heat and the heatsink's job is to dissipate this heat.

Thanks for the reply JayCee.
The area above the heatsink is far less hot than the area above the two large blue/black round items.

The semiconductors bolted to the heatsink are next to the smoothing caps (large blue/black round items) so the heat will appear to come from them.

Nothing wrong, this is completely normal, some amplifiers produce a bit of heat and other less so depending on the design, It just shows in your case the heatsink is doing a good job of removing the heat from the output transistors.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom