Rotel 1075 vs RSX-972

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by RobDickinson, Jul 27, 2001.

1. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    As I'm waiting to read the rotle 1075 review (like many others who missed the magazine)

I've got a yamaha E492 + kenwood ka3020se - with a DVD player with built in DD decoder.

I'm thinking of either a rotel RSX-972 to replace both amps(E-492+kenwood) or just bolt the 1075 onto the yamaha and use the yamaha as a preamp.

I'll probably be getting B&W CM4's + a CMC and keep my Kef Coda 7's for rears.

Any Thoughts?

2. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello Rob,

I have been wondering the same thing. It's worth noting that the RSX 972's retail price is £1000, not £500 as in the HCC review. This confused the hell out of me as it's in a £500 group test!

I suspect I'll probably go for a 1075 with a view to a good processor eventually. It depends what your plan is and how far you want to go. The 972 has been very well reviewed too.

By the way, the 1075 review was in the June 2001 issue of HCC (the famous Anthea Turner issue......). Five stars for everything (except 4.5 for features). They rate it very highly. You can get it for £699 if you shop around (Superfi, etc.)

Good Luck,

Noel

3. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Superfi do the rsx-972 for £879.95 & the 1075 for £699.95 as you said.

If I get the 1075 the yamy e-492 will have to do for a preamp for a while.

I personaly think I'll be better off with the 972(in the short term) though.
    I cant see anything else as a competitor though ( for m/c music over moviews).

When was HCC 972 review?

4. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's in the current issue (August) as part of the £500 receiver group test.

I'm thinking the opposite way to you. I think I'm going to buy a power amp now and use my integrated amp as a pre-amp. I suspect this will sound just as good as a 972, plus I can add a decent processor later.

Each to their own!

Good luck.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,
    I replaced my av stuff over a period of three months. I bought the Rotel 1075 first and used my Yamaha A-592 as a pre-amp. It sounded really good, so much better than the 592 on its own. The 1075 is brilliant. I've owned mine for about 4 months and have not regretted buying it instead of the 1095.
    I replaced the Yamaha with a Rotel RSP 976 processor but,although terrific, overheated so I now run the 1075 with a Tag Mclaren AV32R. I don't intend to change either bit of kit.