Rotel 1075 any good?

P

philthyanimal

i'm thinking of upgrading from a receiver(denon 3806) to a processor and a set of power amps. due to cost i was thinking of 2x rotel 1075's(bi amp left right and centre and the rears using the 4 remaining for 7.1) first thing, are they any cop? i was thinking pre/pro wise looking at a second hand/ex demo mc4, av9, g68.
want to use(again cost) a set of kef iq5's a iq6c and 4 iq8ds.

any one got ant opinions?
i am also looking at the parasound new classic range.
DVD wise i have an arcam dv79, will be willing to upgrade if its worth it

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
philthyanimal said:
i'm thinking of upgrading from a receiver(denon 3806) to a processor and a set of power amps. due to cost i was thinking of 2x rotel 1075's(bi amp left right and centre and the rears using the 4 remaining for 7.1) first thing, are they any cop? i was thinking pre/pro wise looking at a second hand/ex demo mc4, av9, g68.
want to use(again cost) a set of kef iq5's a iq6c and 4 iq8ds.

any one got ant opinions?
i am also looking at the parasound new classic range.
DVD wise i have an arcam dv79, will be willing to upgrade if its worth it

In short, yes they are good :)

If you're willing to look at the second hand route, the parasound 2205 at approx £900 (only come in black) will laugh in the face of the 1075. But alot comes down to the speakers tbh.

To put this in context, a few years ago I owned Celestion A1s (a notoriously difficult load, with dips I think to 2ohms), and my Rotel handled them with ease. However, I then heard said speakers on the end of a Parasound A51...and they sounded amazing. The power on tap was in a completely different league.

Now I don't know how easy or difficult those KEFs are...but from memory they are very mid-range speakers, which brings me on to my next point.

imho (and unless you love your current speakers!), I think you may be better off keeping your Denon 3806 for processing, adding the power amp and instead of buying a new processor (remember in 12-18 months everything will change with new ranges of processors supporting True HD audio), investing the remainder of your budget in a top quality speaker package, which will make the most of the power on tap.

My comments are based on little knowledge of the KEFs in question, so feel free to disregard my advice :D But I can tell you this from experience....adding a power amp to the Denon 3806 will make a huge improvement. I know, because my power amp has developed a fault so I'm having to use the internal amps in my 3806, and to my ears it sounds awful having been used to plenty of current delivery. And aside from the rears, my speakers aren't difficult loads.....

Cheers
Matt

Peter Baker

I'm in the same camp as Smurfin. I have not heard the Kefs, but they look to be the weak link in the package. The Rotels are well regarded, as are parasound, primareand others. But I wouldn't look to bi-amp into mid range speakers. Of course speakers are really down to personal preference, but I would suggest demoing B&w, Spendor, M&K Monitor Audio and PRoac

P

philthyanimal

thanks for the reply's:thumbsup:

speaker wise, i'm looking at 7.1 and can't go much over £1500 so thats why the kefs were my first choice. I had been looking at the B&W 60x's(like the look of the 603's).
any recomendations at my price limit?
Reason for a pro/pre is i want to keep the 3806 for another room. wont the one's i mentioned be upgradable? can't dolby HD etc be decoded onboard and passed into the pre via analogue cables?

TopMeTom

Banned
I did exactly this with my pio ax3 and cantons.To be honest I dont think the ickle speakers are pushing this system hence my decision to upgrade them.I was told m&k would be awesome with my system,Angeleyes on here did exactly the same and now has m&k look for his posts on the subject.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
can't dolby HD etc be decoded onboard and passed into the pre via analogue cables?

I think you are correct that HD can be decoded on the player and passed through the analogue inputs to your non HD Processor but I don't think you get the full bandwidth or extra channels available. This is just what I have read on the forums so don't take it as gospel.

As for the 1075, I initially used it with my Sony DB940 and the difference was staggering (and so it should be in comparison). I later added an RSP 1068 Processor and although a significant improvement it wasn't as dramatic as the addition of the 1075. Finally I added the M&Ks (replacing old Missions), the detail is amazing in fact it takes a little getting used to, so much more there and my Missions were muddled in comparison.

The 1075 is my first seperate Power Amp and I am extremely happy with it but you are best asking someone with more experience for a definitive answer.

Most of the comments / reviews I have read is that it gives excellent performance for the money and is hard to beat in the same price range. To get better you need to spend quite a bit more... especially for me I picked mine up for £250 :smashin:

There is a 1075 on that auction site, ends in a few hours...

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
How did you get it that cheap!!?? Nice one though Angeleyes :)

I too moved from Mission to M&K at the time, and the difference was staggering (just in terms of the speakers).

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I got very lucky with a wanted ad on these forums, I couldn't believe my luck really and he even sent it before I paid! Unfortunately though everything comparable seems so expensive now when ever I look for upgrades :(

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom