1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel 1068 issues - any other owners?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by hazard, Jun 23, 2004.

1. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I got my new processor a couple of weeks ago, a Rotel 1068. I'm having a few problems with it though. Anyone else here got one?

Issues are (in increasing order of annoyance):

1) video out set to NTSC - there is an option in setup which toggles between PAL and NTSC output for the menu screens. No matter which setting is selected, the processor outputs NTSC.

2) cannot switch off OSD - again there is an option in the setup menus, but regardless of whether it is set to "on" or "off" - the on screen graphics still appear.

3) it often loses connection with the DVD player - if I skip a chapter, or fast forward/rewind, or anything that causes a temporary interruption in the digital stream, the processor goes silent and cannot resume sound output. I have to switch to another input (e.g. "VCR") and back again for it to resync and continue decoding the soundtrack.

4) loud pops when skipping chapters or fast forward / rewind - this may be a Rotel "feature", but the problem I have is that the pops are so loud, they cause my amps (Arcam A85/P85s) to overload and they shut off! This is extremely irritating...

Before I call the dealer, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced any of these problems? I have checked on Club Rotel but haven't seen items 1-3 mentioned over there.

Thanks
    Fergus

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It doesn't sound very healthy to us!!

Maybe it got dropped by the postman :(

Anyway i'd take it back as it's still very new and demand a *new* replacement not just having it sent off for repair.

The PAL/NTSC... it might only change if it has an input signal at the time? - had a 1066 which I loved and it said something about that in the manual.

Good luck and hope you get a working one soon.

Cheers

booktrunk

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,188
    Echo the comment already passed, take it back to your dealer.

Good luck.

4. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping someone might pop up and say "all your problems are cured by a firmware update, and what's more, here is the file!"

:laugh:

5. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are updates out there I think, but to be honest with the state it's in. I would not mess about with it in case the dealer says ahhh it's because you did x, y or z...

Just take it back and dump the problems on him. Rotel like everyone else have a few duff uns produced.

Someone on here had his Denon 3805 go BANG after a day or even less!! can't remember. It's just bad luck, see if you can get their demo unit until your new one arrives or if their demo unit is unmarked ask if you can have that one!! At least it will be used a bit and worn in :)

Steff

6. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0