1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel 1066 opinions

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by paiger, Jun 3, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I sold my Sony 1080 due to imminent house move. Once the floor is down in the new place, I'll be looking for a pre/ pro combo. The power amp I am not hugely worried about and will probably try to pick up a second hand 5 channel, either Rotel or Sony TAN somewhere.

I want to spend under £1500, preferably nearer a grand on both but retain the flexibilty of a pre/power solution and upgrade later.

So, I'm looking at the Rotel 1066 as a processor. My listening habits are mainly music, multi channel included so a stereo amp is out. Movies and Xbox I do as well but a cheap Sony was fine for that so no real demands on that side.

Anyone got any opinions on the 1066 before I make the effort to track down a demo? Anything else I should think about? I really need video switching as I have a TV and PJ so that rules out the Cyrus.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Okay ... well my opinion of the Rotel 1066 is widely known ... I love it to bits for the money.

The firmware is readily upgradable, and has a separate boot section for the amp which never gets overwritten so if ever you have a problem doing the firmware update you can just begin again. As for sound quality - for music we rate it at least as good as the Rotel RA1060 we had previously, and while I don't like the effect ... it's good in Neo:6 and PLII for music.

There have been a few reports of problems with a "clicking" noise when changing settings with some people's 1066's, but it seams very isolated and swapped units have all been fine for people.

To balance this up ... at upto around £1500 you should also be able to pick up second hand Lexicon MC-1 or a (basic) TAG AV32R.

Vikki

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard a basic Tag next to an Arcam AV8 and was underwhelmed to be honest. Not sure if I could tell them apart blind but it didn't 'move' me as much as the Arcam. May have been all in my head though and I would like to demo them blind. If I could get one cheap enough I would as I could easily move it on later for little loss.

I listen to a lot of SACD/ DVD-A, don't like DPL2 Music or Neo6 but maybe I haven't heard it done well enough yet, only on my Sony 1080. I must also have DPl2 for Sky, which I forgot to mention. I don't believe the MC1 has 5.1 inputs or DPL2.

I think I'll arrnage a demo of the Rotel and see how it goes. It certainly looks the biz.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Oh the Rotel is great with SACD / DVD-A. Also the basic Tags and the MC1 don't have a multi-channel input ... think it's about £400, plus £99 if the unit is over 18months old, to have one fitted to the TAG ... I think DPLII is another cost option on the Tag too. The MC1 as you said doesn't have DPLII but in its defence a lot of people say that the Logic 7 mode is as good if not better. I think you'd probably be look at nearer £1800 for a Tag with the features you want/need.

I don't like DPLII or Neo:6 for music either ... either 2ch or a properly mixed multi-channel recording is my preference.

In summary I think the Rotel is the bargain of the century ... to match the facilities and improve on sound quality (with separates) you need to spend at least 3 times the cost of the Rotel and look at the TAG AV32R EXbp192 or Arcam AV8.

Vikki

PS. where do you get your SACD and DVD-A from ... looking for somewhere that will take Solo card.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Play and Amazon mainly. I find the wait from other places too long.

I've taken the 5.1 setup out of my living room so we can sell the house now and am down to a Teac 300 system, which is nice.

S

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    Dumb question, but how much is the Rotel 1066?

Would i notice a significant improvement do you think, by adding one of these to a Yamaha DSPA1 and using the amp purely for amplification? Or would it be better going down the route of buying a power amp and using the A1 as a processor only?

cheers
    Smurf

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I know someone with a Rotel 1095 going for £950 in mint condition if it's of use?