1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotel 1066 "double-bass" problem ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by lespaton, Jan 28, 2003.

1. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent this query to B&W (distributors of Rotel in the UK)....

"Can you comment on reports from the USA that this processor has a "double-bass" problem which Rotel have been unable to completely eradicate. This problem is described as the processor, in certain decoding conditions, sending low frequency effects (LFE's) to both the subwoofer and the front L/R speakers when the LFE's should be sent to the subwoofer only."

I got this reply...

"From what I have been told by Rotel, there is certainly no "doubling up". If you use the preferred method of connecting the digital output from the DVD player into the processor it will decode the 5.1 digital stream as par the specification set down by Dolby/DTS etc.
    If you are using the multi channel output from your DVD player into the RSP-1066, for example for DVD-A and SACD, which on almost all discs does not have a dedicated .1 channel for bass. It will take a signal from the front left and right speaker to feed to the subwoofer, as this was felt to be useful for people who wanted to make use of their subwoofer for these sources.

Stephen Baker
    Product Manager
    B&W Loudspeakers UK"

Any comments ?

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you'd have to be pretty odd to use the internal decoder in your DVD player anyway except for SACD and DVD-A.
    If it's true that there's no LFE channel on those discs then B&W's reply does make a lot of sense, from a design point of view it's a worthwhile feature, but it'd be nice to have a choice in the matter.

3. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What Stephen Baker doesn't say is that if you have your speakers set to Large when using the multi channel inputs then you will get double bass. If they're set to Small then there's no problem, I believe. Rotel have provided a partial fix with their latest firmware which allows the sub to be turned off. OK if you have a macro capable remote, but a pain otherwise.

lespaton - if you dont already know of the Club Rotel forum on HTGuide then take a look here URL=http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=listings&CFB=1&forum=25]Club Rotel[/URL]. This issue has been discussed at length.