• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rote RSP 1068 Processor Centre Channel Missing?

hemp3

Established Member
I have a rotel 1068 processor which up until last week was working ok. However, now I don't get any output through the centre channel using either Centre 1 or Centre 2 outputs to my rotel power amps.

I have tried using the centre speaker through another channel and it works fine. I have connected the left speaker to the centre output and that doesnt work so it seems its definitely the centre pre-out on the processor that doesnt work.

Using the test tone for the centre nothing is output. Can an individual channels DAC get blown and be replaced separately or is it the output stage for the centre channel that is blown?

Last edited:

SSB

Prominent Member
You haven't accidentally set the centre speaker to none have you?

Main Menu > Speaker Set-Up

"CENTER SPEAKER(S) (large/small/
none): Use the LARGE position (not available
with SMALL front speakers) to have the center
speaker play low bass (full-range). Use the
SMALL position if your center channel speaker
has limited low frequency capability, or if you
prefer that the bass be sent to the subwoofer
(high-pass). Select the NONE setting if your
system does not have a center channel speaker
(the surround modes will automatically divide
all center channel information equally between
the two front speakers, creating a phantom
center channel)." (p36 of the manual)

My sincere apologies of course if this seems like a silly suggestion!

Last edited:

hemp3

Established Member
No its not silly but I have had the processor for 5 years and it just has suddendly stopped outputting from the centre channel. I have tried setting the centre to small, large, none, reset the processor to the factory default. No sound seems to be output from the centre pre-outs.

The other thing is that using the direct input the centre is outputted from the pre-out so it seems to be that the centre DAC has gone but not sure how the rotels work. Do they DAC's per channel? If the direct is working im guessing the pre-output stage is not blown.

hemp3

Established Member
All channels started working ok after i replaced the fuse. It worked for about two months and now the centre channel has gone. I think there is a power/mains problem where i am though. I have a mains filter but i think the centre DAC must of blown!

Thanks for the link but to be honest its a bit too complicated for me.

Do you think it would be costly to replace the centre 1/2 DAC? If the DAC was blown, would the direct still work?

Last edited:

SSB

Prominent Member
I honestly don't know enough about the way these things are put together - I doubt its as simple as plugging one into a board - have you dare look inside? I would think that it would be quite costly, at least if you were to use Rotel direct.

I'm guessing it's something like this ...

Tirna Electronics - Services - Audio DAC Upgrade

I'd drop them a line - if they can get the chips, they might cost less than £100 with the chip / work and postage.

EDIT: Checked on ebay and I'm pretty sure these are the chips you're after, so you'd be looking at roughly that price plus the work.

I would think the multi-channel ins will bypass the DACs altogether.

Last edited:

hemp3

Established Member
I dont use the centre backs as im running a 5.1 setup. Do you reckon i could swap the centre back dac for the centre dac?

I will have a look inside because it is nearly 6 years old so its out of warranty and due for an upgrade.

SSB

Prominent Member
Well, yes I guess you could in theory - but you'd only be saving yourself the £20 or so the chip cost and would still have a processor which was faulty, even though it might be OK for 5.1.

Perhaps a call to Rotel tech support might shed some light on it.

hemp3

Established Member
I had a look inside and tbh don't have a clue what im even looking in terms of a bank of DAC's, so it will have to go to an engineer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom