1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rory Gallagher "Big Guns" on SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by PaulBoy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks to floodedstatue for the heads up on this recent news spotted on highfidelityreview.com ...

SonyBMG U.K. to Release Best of Rory Gallagher Surround Sound SACD in June
    SonyBMG Music U.K. announced that a Best of Rory Gallagher Surround Sound Super Audio CD will be released this summer. The upcoming release, entitled Big Guns: The Very Best Of Rory Gallagher is slated for release on June 13th in the U.K. and Ireland to coincide with the 10th Anniversary of the famed blues rock guitarist's passing. The announcement by SonyBMG Music in the U.K. follows last month's announcement that the label plans a 5.1 Surround Sound SACD release of Jeff Wayne's landmark War of the Worlds album this summer.

Comments from SonyBMG Music
    SonyBMG Music U.K describes the upcoming release by saying that "The package includes a comprehensive booklet with sleeve notes penned by the highly esteemed Times newspaper rock correspondent, David Sinclair, himself an avid Rory admirer. A second set of essays is provided by Michael Molenda, Editor-In-Chief of Guitar Player magazine in the U.S.

Gallagher has often been highly regarded by music critics and fans as one of the finest blues musicians treading the boards: a guitar virtuoso and among the finest slide players in the world. Gallagher has received the rare accolade of being invited to play with legendary musicians including the great blues virtuoso Muddy Waters, who invited him to record on his London Sessions album (1972, Chess Records), and Albert King, who invited him to play on his 1977 Live album (Utopia/RCA Records). Gallagher also recorded on albums for Jerry Lee Lewis (London Sessions, 1973, Mercury), British skiffle-king Lonnie Donegan (Puttin' On The Style, 1976, Chrysalis), and the Chris Barber Band (Frat That Fraddle Rat).

With Rory Gallagher's most memorable recordings upgraded in 5.1 Surround Sound for the first time, experience vintage blues guitar just as if the man himself is playing his heart out in the privacy of your front room. Crank it up because it doesn't get any better than this."

A 24 Track, 2 SACD Disc Set
    Big Guns is slated to be a 2 disc, 24 track release featuring new 5.1 Surround Sound mixes presented in Super Audio CD of many of Gallagher's signature songs and performances. Work on the project is being led by the late guitarist's brother Donal Gallagher.

While the final song line up won't be released until May, SonyBMG U.K. has announced that the set will include these selections among the 24 tracks:

Big Guns - from the album "Jinx" (1982)

Tatoo'd Lady - from the album "Tattoo" (1972)

Sinnerboy - from the album "Taste: Live At The Isle Of Wight" (1968)

What's Going on - from the album "Taste: On The Boards" (1970)

Calling Card - from the album "Calling Card" (1976)

Lonesome Highway - from the album "Wheels Within Wheels" (2003)

... more than makes up for the existing ropey selection of poor quality DVDS of Rory & sounds like Fathers Day is sorted for me! Paul :thumbsup:

2. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    fantastic cant wait ,the only trouble is that down here in Little old New Zealand we may never see it I hope maybe you guys could help me out later PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
    cheers and thanks

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Looks great :thumbsup:

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Look forward to getting this one :thumbsup:

5. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Sorry if ths is a repeat post but I got this today and it is absolutely fantastic. All of the tracks are alive with detail and clarity. What a talent he was. A true great.

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I would have bought this but my two treasured Rory albums are Tattoo and Against The Grain, which the re-mix CD versions ballsed up totally IMHO, and if more had been on it from these two I would have. Back to the vinyl.

7. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Well it beats my previous copies of his albums. Mix sounds good to me, but hey we are all different, thank god! Hopefully the release will reawaken interest in one of the greatest exponents of this artform.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I've heard that this is a real career retrospective with some tracks from Taste on as well. Is this true?

9. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Sure is true. "Whats going on" and "Born on the wrong side of time" are a couple of Taste tracks on the album.

10. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I meant my Tattoo and ATG remixed, remastered CD's not the Big Guns CD or SACD which I haven't got.

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yeah - I've got my copy of this now - nice digipak for a change with an excellent booklet & photos etc
    I never expected the 5.1 mix to be that good but agree that it is a decent "solid" effort in the main - some of the tracks on the mainly acoustic 2nd disc really sound superb
    Compilations are always a bit hit and miss and for me the exclusion of "Blister on the Moon" from Rory's Taste days was a huge let down :nono:
    Otherwise I'd give it 9/10 for content & 7/10 for SQ
    Paul ;)

12. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Sorry mate, did not read your post properly.

13. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    can you guys give me a score on the stereo mix, I have a sacd player in the lounge but I listen to much music in the car.So is the 2channel mix better than say the remasterd stage struck album?
    cheers

14. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    goodtimes - that's a toughie! - I always rated "Stage Struck" as one of the best ever live albums as it seemed to capture a real live sound & without sounding over-produced
    I dont have the remastered version though but I have several Rory "Remasters" and the SACD sounds better than them IMHO ... HTH ... Paul ;)

15. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Just got this today and have put it in the player and cranked the volume up.

I'm being suitably blown away now :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haven't heard anything as fresh as this in a long time and some of it is 35 years old ***!!!

If you have even a passing interest in Rory or rock/blues guitar in general you NEED this album.

Think I can go another notch or two on the volume - fortunately the neighbour's deaf :devil:

16. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Ditto... just got it today. Fab.

Just have to wait till the house is empty to wind it up a little.

17. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    CD Wow have this SACD at a pre-voucher price of £9.99 at the moment. I held-off a purchasing until now as I have many of the tracks on vinyl.
    Seems a good price for a double-SACD though.

18. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Mine arrived yesterday £9.99 and a quid off as well.

I wasn't going to get it as I've the albums and CD's but Couldn't resist. It does sound better than the CD's but too many of my favs are missing.