• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Root-canal dental procedure......what to expect?

rousetafarian

I've not undergone the procedure, but my wife did this afternoon. Am I right to feel a little apprehensive going home tonight?

Chicken soup at the ready!

blue max

Distinguished Member
It has the potential to be nasty. However, mine was no problem at all. I was very concerned after all the horror stories, but in the end it was no worse than a filling really.

Fingers crossed for you.

Ayub

Distinguished Member
sep8001 said:
Had two done about 3 years ago, it hurts for a day or so.

Bloody hell chaps, I take it you have never been slapped before.... It's a whizz, knock back two aspirin and your as good as gold.

Don't see what the fuss it, I have had 2 done hurt a bit. Nothing as bad as what people make out!

malk

Depends on the dentist,my dentist(a new one),is a butcher.
Ive had a few root canals,and havent had too much trouble with them,its purely if the dentist is good really.
Inject lignocaine,drill out nerve ,fill with metal stuff,thats about it!!

Its only when /if the tooth thats left behind,starts to decay,and leaves a metal peg sticking out!!

She should be fine pal.

Loftusrd1980

Bloody hell chaps, I take it you have never been slapped before.... It's a whizz, knock back two aspirin and your as good as gold.

Don't see what the fuss it, I have had 2 done hurt a bit. Nothing as bad as what people make out!

Have you not thought that the pain can be significantly different to what you experienced?

I have had two, one absolutely painless the other........... not pleasant but it doesn't last long

Every time I ask my daughter if she would like us to come and stay with her for the weekend, she says:

"Not really. I'd rather have root canal treatment."

Hmmm?

:)

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Loftusrd1980 said:
Have you not thought that the pain can be significantly different to what you experienced?

I have had two, one absolutely painless the other........... not pleasant but it doesn't last long

People are assuming you need to swig on a bottle of rum while having it done! It's not that bad, having said that if your crave attention, you now have an excuse.

That's a generalisation not directed at anyone:)

Ayub

Distinguished Member

nheather

Distinguished Member
I've had a few - I never found it a big issue.

In my experience, any residual pain is from where the hyperdermic is stuck in the gum. That can feel a little bruised once the numbness has worn off, but even that passes after a few hours.

I have never had to resort to any pain relief after the event.

Cheers,

Nigel

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
It depends.

If the tooth is badly infected then its more likely the residual effects of that are causing you more pain than the process itself.

If the tooth has a single root its pretty easy and you don't normally have much problem after the aneasthetic wears off.

If there are multiple roots then it can take more than one attempt and there can be a fair amount of bruising from the process.

If the nerve is still alive its a bit of an eye opener when its removed but its just for a couple of seconds.

It was a relief for me and I was right as rain about 20 minutes later; temporary filling then back a week later to get it properly filled.

You will need a cap probably as it will discolour over time.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Get a good dentist, and it won't hurt :thumbsup:

I slept through my mine :)

Bill Hicks

Banned
I've had several root canal therapies over the years and they are fine. Just sounds worse than the reality. I had a wisdom tooth removed 2 years ago in hospital, that one I was dreading but was fine as well. As long as your numbed up then you'll be ok.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom