1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rooster, A real surprise. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by KoThreads, Apr 20, 2005.

1. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    o.k. to be quick I'm well over 40 probably similar to quiite a few forum readers I was into Floyd, Yes, Zep, Rush and all the so called dinosaurs and don't mind admitting it. I still listen to it and don't care, nearly 1000 CD's plus a few hundred albums. Very little music from the last 15 or so years has had any impact on me, don't mention The Darkness, PLEASE.

The last CD's I bought that I've liked were DT's Train of Thought, PG's UP and Audioslaves debut.

My daughter was watching Sat morning TV when I heard a song. I went in the front room and asked her who they were.

Today I just had a whim and bought it and I have to say I'm surprised. I'm sure theres been posts anout them already and if I'm going over other comments I apologise. I know nothing about them but if you like old school rock you'll love it. Shame the songs are short though.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Aren't they just another Busted ? Semi-hard rock guitar boy band, Just my vague impression from the single. Not exactly Zep or Floyd. But if you like them fine.

If you want to listen to a band that might make an impression on you, try Metallica's Black Album (its not new, but...),Tool (Lateralus) or System of A Downs (Toxicity), if you can put up with a bit of monster vocals then I would recommend Mastodons album Leviathon (takes a bit of listening to, but the musicianship is great, you need to be able to switch out the monster vocals a bit). Listening to something in a different vain try The Arcade Fire - Funeral this is more indie based but well worth a listen (this also needs a few goes, around 5 plays is about right). Going a bit stranger is the Fantomas new album Suspended Animation (might be a trip too far for you, it definitely is rock, it definitely is'nt easy to listen to).

Its easy to get sucked into the old hard rock style of music (nowt wrong with it), but its worth perservering with other styles based around heavy rock and it will take time to appreciate something new, it definitely wont happen overnight.

3. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    No I wouldn't have said they were a busted clone although the vocals on some of the tracks might lend to that. However I already own all Metalica's albums and for me they went downhill after the black album.

I already have Aenima and Lateralus but I'm not a big fan of Tool TBH. SOAD I've never liked despite borrowing CD's, I haven't heard Toxicity though. The rest I have never heard of but if it's like Slipknot, Rammstein, Soulfly etc forget it. The only CD I posses like that is Pandemonium by Killing Joke and I don't like much of that.

I've listened to it again because they remind me of someone else. It's Def Leppard cica Euphoria - X.

4. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
  5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Rooster is the sort of band I hate and I'm quite suprised you like it going on the other bands you like. Having said that I've only heard a couple of their songs and if you like it then it's all good.

I second arcade fire - funeral, probably my album of 2004.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think Metallica think that themselves. The latest album is OK, but reading between the lines your not going to like it.

You may still like Mastodon, the vocals (and its unfortunate IMO, but after a couple of plays the quality of the music makes you forget) are Slipknot like in places, but the music is in a totally different league, more King Crimson meets The Allman Bros and Metallica.

You should sell that Pandemonium CD, they are as rare as hens teeth and are in demand by the fans on the web site. Had to get mine from the USA. Have you listened to the album a few times....and its really the first track thats brilliant although there are two or three others, even people I know who dont like heavy music seem to like that one.

If you dont like the rest of SOADs music your probably not going to like Toxicity either......excluding the wonderfull Chop Suey that everyone likes.

I presume you have Velvet Revolvers-Contraband, you must have that surely ?? Not my scene as its just hard rock, but thats got to be right up your street, a sort of different take on Guns and Roses.

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Karkus30

Your going to say I'm fussy I know and this is just asking for trouble but here goes.

I never liked GnR, Axl's voice just !!!! Hated it. Contraband I've heard but not bought, but if Mastodon are like Crimson meet the Allmans meet Metallica then I'm going to give it a listen.

Reading my last post It seems I didn't phrase the last bit right at all. What I meant was that Rooster reminded me of DL, Pandemonium I've listened to many times, and you are right, it was the first track that Tommy Vance played on the old FRS that made me go out and buy it when it was released, and you're going to call me all sorts because I forgot I also bought Type-o-Negatives October Rust and the vocals on that are dreadfull, blame Alan Freeman for that one.

Nick25

I lsten to anything, if I like it I like it, if I don't I don't. You should see my CD collection, some of them would make you cringe.

So many bands I've not heard, and a few, The Mars Volta, who from what I've heard in the past I wouldn't have even considered again.

Thanks to you all for pointing me in a few new directions.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

9. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Have to admit that SOAD and Velvet Revolver don't do much if anything for me.

Karkus, have you got any material by The Get Up Kids? It should be right up your street and "Something to Write Home About" is probably my favourite album. :)

EDIT: Don't you think calling it "petal" would be better than "munk"?

11. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157

12. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmm there are some similarities to Marillion, infact Steven Wilson (PT lead singer/guitarist/producer) did some production work on that album (Marbles).

Where to start with PT? Good question. I don't actually have the 'Stars Die' compilation as I have all the albums anyway, but I would imagine it to be a fairly good representation of their 'early years'. I started with 'In Absentia' a couple of years ago, and worked my way through their back catalogue. 2 of their best albums are deleted pending reissue (as they have changed record companies recently), which is criminal that new fans cannot hear those unless they pay stupid money on ebay.

As I say, I started with In Absentia and had no problems working backwards. You may wish to start with 'The Sky Moves Sideways' (reminiscent of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' in places) and work your way through the catalogue, or try IA and work backwards. Either way, I think you will find the experience rewarding.

Any more questions, let me know. Their catalogue can be confusing, as there are deleted items, items being re-issued soon, and various remasters and different editions of albums:

http://www.porcupinetree.com/discography.cfm

13. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Just ordered Stars Die 2CD for £6 from 101 My PT journey starts from here.

14. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :eek: Bargain!! It's different from the newer stuff, but a good place to start :smashin:

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No, I have'nt, had a quick look on AMG and they were followers of Minor Threat and Fugazi which is a good sign. Im in a heavy phase at the moment (anyone ele find that ? One moment your revelling in pop inflected punk, next its heavy as hell prog. metal with an extra twist of heaviness), so will bear it in mind for future purchases. Have you got Meat Puppets II ?

16. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    karkus,
    It's not exactly going to light your fire if you're in a heavy mood at the moment but they're definitely worth checking out. I know what you mean about bouncing between genres, I put The Living End on when I got in earlier but followed that with The Downward Spirals. Variety is the spice of life!

I did pick up Meat Puppets 2 last year following your recommendations and have to say it wasn't really my thing although it still gets played occasionally. I did enjoy Mission of Burma "On Off On" though. :)

18. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157

19. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

20. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

21. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I've just been to the Roadrunner site, all those bands and I'd only ever heard a few of then, but then Sepultura and Soulfly are there!. Went to the Trivum site and download the two mp3's I'll listen to them later with the volume up when everyones out.

Anathema rings bells, could I have seen them a few years ago on the Kerrang sat station. I haven't watched it for a few years but the name sounds familiar.

I feel like a kid back at school. NO PUNS I'VE GOT CHILDREN.

22. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I tried with Anathema, I really worked at it, about six full listens to the album, but it just did'nt work for me. Too much like the bands I tired of in the 70s ie Yes, well actually Yes and no other bands. Great musicianship, just did'nt stir me. I have had a listen to Porcupine Tree and felt the same and finally Spocks Beard which really did make me feel like putting on Loons and a Kaftan :eek:

23. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  24. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :rotfl: :rotfl: hahabwaaahaha even I hate Spock's Beard, so there's one thing we agree on mate. Rubbish isn't even the word :rolleyes:

25. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I'm sorry to say this as he is a good musician and seems an all round good bloke but everything Neil Morse is involved with ends up annoying me. I liked Transatlantic but was glad when it fell apart at just the right time.

26. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Karkus - out of interest, what Porcupine Tree / Anathema albums did you try?

27. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :rotfl: I shall take that comment in the spirit it was intended. Brilliant, its great when you start to explore, I started doing the same thing about 10 years ago and theres not a day goes by when I dont, write, read, listen, play or think about music.

Another couple for the heap (only because of the time changes) these are B list bands for when you have the inclination (I dont mean they are second grade, just that they can take some listening to). Dillinger Escape Plan, Cult of Luna and just one more that requires your opinion...... and you will know us by the trail of the dead (source codes and tags).

28. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I purloined a few tracks of Absentia and I have the Natural Disaster album by Anathema.

29. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have you tried the new 'Tree album? It is heavier and arguarbly better and more coherant than In Absentia

30. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No and you can't make me :D I think its just a leap too far in the wrong direction for me, theres got to be a slightly hard edge to music for me, difficult to describe it exactly, its has to have a slightly subversive, dangerous edge, its probably why Im not a great lover of classical music, although I can settle down with a few Concerto's when the mood takes me.

Quite a lot of heavy music, can sound boring to me. It needs an edge or something different or strange,for instance I like The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs, yet in no way is this rock, but it just has that edge. Ergo, I went to see them last year and thought they were superb.