Room treatment.. Too many panels?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have too many panels? I've just bought 4 (for the ceiling) and temporarily put them on the side walls. However, I think I could do with 4 more.

In terms of difference, I haven't played any music in the room but just talking and coughing and clapping my hands, the difference is surprisinly pretty dramatic. I feel like I could almost record a podcast now in the room.

I'm thinking of attaching 3 to the ceiling (maybe 6) moreso to minimise light reflections from the PJ, and 4 to the side walls. Just wondering, is there ever the issue of TOO much room treatment or not ?

ive used these:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes you can have too many, but 8 in your size room won’t be too much.

ive got around 24 in total in a much smaller room. I’ve tried it with less, but prefer it with the amount I have in, remember though, I’m only using it for movies and not hifi.

Yes you can have too many, but 8 in your size room won’t be too much.

ive got around 24 in total in a much smaller room. I’ve tried it with less, but prefer it with the amount I have in, remember though, I’m only using it for movies and not hifi.
Thank you Mark.

Am I find just using the panels I linked above? or should I be mixed in any other panels?

e.g. bass traps?

Thank you Mark.

Am I find just using the panels I linked above? or should I be mixed in any other panels?

e.g. bass traps?
Bass traps are for bass issues, acoustic panels help with higher frequencies. Mixing and matching is a good thing.

Worth trying to go to some demo rooms and people's houses with panels in use, before committing to buying lots so you know what you like. It's a preference thing, some like a more live feel others a more dead room with fast decay times.

Worth trying to go to some demo rooms and people's houses with panels in use, before committing to buying lots so you know what you like. It's a preference thing, some like a more live feel others a more dead room with fast decay times.
Thanks mate. Just from these 4 panels I can sense a clear difference in clarity. It’s almost like with a few more I could do a podcast with a crap microphone here.

Check your RT60s (T20 usually the most helpful) aiming for 350ish ms or a bit less, too little and you may find this a little to dead.

I bought some panels for the hifi room but not much furniture in there so it made a big difference.

In the home theatre doesn't have handclap issue so don't use panels.

Check your RT60s (T20 usually the most helpful) aiming for 350ish ms or a bit less, too little and you may find this a little to dead.
Depends on room size mate, my RT60 is around 140ms, but as you know, doesn’t sound too dead.

Lots of theories on this, but no definite answer.

I found that "deadness" can help with the precision of object placement, especially with Atmos.
In the same way that monopoles are recommended over di/bipole for Atmos (certain situations excluded, like when a monopole would be very close to a listener)

Here's an old Dolby recommendation seems that the target changes by the cube root of volume against 100 cubic metres. I have seen this 'target' move around 0.3s, this is interesting and suggests my room should be just below .3s and above .15s (around 17x17x8.75 )= 2,500

Maybe a few more panels (by the way most say ignore below 200 Hz)

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 15.06.06.png

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 14.53.15.png

Here's an old Dolby recommendation seems that the target changes by the cube root of volume against 100 cubic metres. I have seen this 'target' move around 0.3s, this is interesting and suggests my room should be just below .3s and above .15s (around 17x17x8.75 )= 2,500

Maybe a few more panels (by the way most say ignore below 200 Hz)

View attachment 1561361

View attachment 1561355
That would make sense for mine then 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom